1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FHRITP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Iron_chet, May 13, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is all very complex, but workers aren't without fault here. Maybe if they had skills to offer that someone was willing to pay for? Just spitballing. I've seen articles in which employers lament not being able to find capable workers. And there was a study a year or two about how dismal Americans were at employable skills in this economy, after years of losing ground educationally to the rest of the world.

We set very low expectations for our children, educationally. I see it now that mine has started.

And, look, I feel for the blue-collar worker. Deeply. My dad was in and out of work his whole life. It was very difficult growing up like that. But instead of seeing the writing on the wall, he never even pursued another skill set. He gave up on himself, profesionally, between the ages of 40 and 50. He was angry at ... I'm not sure what he was angry at. Robots maybe.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Employers could also show a little more willingness to train.

You see some of these job listings with a dozen requirements. How many people will be able to fill all of them?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LOL.

About a hundred per job.

4. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

When I was 19, I took a job at a fast food restaurant. He said as a condition of my employment, I had to stay out of trouble because if I, him or any of his employees were arrested, the local news would say "Deskmonkey, who works at McPodunks, was arrested this morning...." and that he would fire me immediately if that ever happened.

That was in the 90s before social media existed.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh yes yes let's be sure to put a boot on the throat of the workers. Moochers got what they deserved.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think that.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Unless the crime was related to your employment, or you were famous, or your crime was so severe that you'd have bigger problems than losing your job, why would the local news say where you worked in the lede of the story?

"Desk Monkey, who works for Podunk Burger, was arrested Thursday when police said he was jaywalking."

How many news organizations would write that up?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pick a side Dick.

Dick Whitman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted