1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fennis Dembo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I kinda get what I think he's saying. In the 80s, there wasn't the Internet nor ESPNU and those other channels, so when an unknown like Wyoming made a run, it was more of a surprise because most of the country wouldn't have a clue who they were, besides being from Wyoming.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No one had a clue who Florida Gulf Coast was, either, other than being from Florida.

You're right that you could see some of those coming -- I remember picking Cornell to go to the Sweet 16, mostly because they played Kansas within five on the road and were loaded with seniors. But there are still just as many ridiculous out-of-the-blue runs that have people scrambling to figure out where the school is, what their nickname is, who the hell these people are, etc.

Also, I don't remember Wyoming being that out of the blue. Seems to me they were fairly well publicized, seeing as they had two NBA-caliber players and one of them had a funny name.

Draft saved Draft deleted