1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fenian's Rainbow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 28, 2007.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Re: Hillary -Mission Unaccomplished

Remember the dude Ross Perot pitched as his running mate - Admiral Stockdale? The tip of the iceberg in what was a mockery of a golden opportunity to make our presidential sweepstakes a true three-party contest.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Stockdale opened his debate with the following line:

"Who am I? Why am I here?"

The opening was intended to be rhetorical but he said exactly what more than a few people were thinking. Also, when he had to adjust his hearing aide mid-debate, that didn't help.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I agree with Ragu, but I'll take it a step further. The Dems already have the White House in hand--2006 showed as much. They don't have to win it, it's only theirs to lose. And Hillary would do that for them. She'll draw out a lot of people who otherwise have no intent on voting, just to pull the lever against who they perceive as a cold hearted bitch. There'e a lot of vitriol and dislike for her throughout the country--the Dems better keep that in mind and not lose the presidency by putting forth the one candidate that can't get elected.

If they want Hillary as their choice, the next 20 months needs to be a carefully orchestrated personality transformation to win over the American public.

And should she win, I would tend to think the choice of her running mate would be pretty important. Not wishing the worst on anyone, but the emotion that would be stirred up with her in the White House would certainly seem to create the opportunity for irrational behavior of the worst regard.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

That won't happen. If anything awakens the pissed off part of the Republican base, it will be Hillary Clinton as the nominee. John Edwards could win...though he busted himself with his new home, which shows that he knows that other America he spoke of about as well as Ted Kennedy can. And I don't mean that favorably.

I'd even go as far to say O'Bama could win.

But Hillary? No way in hell. Unless the transformation makes her into Oprah Winfrey, Barbara Bush or for the young vote, Charlize Theron. Did I get that right?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sean O'Bama is running for president?

Pints of Guinness on the house!

6. Re: Hillary -Mission Unaccomplished

The problem is "the pissed-off portion of the Republican base" is becoming too small to swing elections any more. The national GOP is dangerously close to becoming a regional Southern religious party for a decade or so. (McCain was saying this back in 2000, back when he had a conscience.) That's how we wind up with D majorities in state houses in places like Montana and with a popular D governor in Kansas. That aside, Hillary's my fourth choice based on a lot of factors, most especially her craven triangulating on why she voted for the war.
    All that being said, zeke, pass one of those down here, will ye?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Aye.

Have a drink lads. Sean's 'eaded for the White House!

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Next thing you're going to tell me that Sean O'Bama's middle name is Angus.

YHS, etc

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

fof --

I have it on good authority that he went to Catholic school. That should derail his candidacy right quick.

Penintent til the end, etc.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Oooooookaaaaaaaaaayyyy.

Obama.

I just got back from O'Reilly's where I just got taken for $275.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Wait a second. How about a well-known and liked politician who has ties to Hillary already. You know.....

It would mean he wouldn't have to be called the First Gentleman....

12. Re: Hillary -Mission Unaccomplished

Can't do it.
    Constitution now says after two terms, you can't be in direct line for succession again.

Draft saved Draft deleted