1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fenian's Rainbow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 28, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: Hillary -Mission Unaccomplished

If Iraq is still a mess in the lead up to the 2008 election, the White House is going to be there for the taking for the Democrats. They won't have to do anything to actually win it, except show up. If that is the case, two ways they can screw it up are: 1) Take Chuck Schumer's advice and stand for something proactive, instead of just being against the Republicans. This is the one time Schumer's advice is bad. It doesn't matter if people are voting against the Republican more than they are voting for you. It's still a vote in your favor. And if Iraq is a mess, the vote against the Republican is exactly what the Democrats should be trying for. If the Democratic candidate tries to win people over with an agenda, he or she risks making the Republican look formidable, by shifting the debate to things the Republican can pursuade people with. But if all anyone is talking about is the botched job in Iraq, the Republican can't look formidable. It's that simple. Bland is better this time around. The less the Democrat says, the more Iraq is the issue. 2) Picking Hilary Clinton as their candidate. It's going to be hard NOT to pick her. She will have 3X the money anyone else does, and she has built a machine. But she is polarizing. And the Democrats don't need polarizing, if Iraq is still a mess. They need safe. They'd be best off just picking Al Gore and telling him to try not to appear pompous. If Iraq is still a mess, the Democrats's strategy should be to not screw it up. It shouldn't be to try to win it.

2. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Even I am burnt out on politics right now.

But couple of points for this thread.

Boom - great stuff as always

Ragu - not trying to pick on you as your trying to work some decent analysis but it is still way simplistic & none of that will unfold as you have said. One thing I agree with is that Hilary is likely choice. She is the toughest with most $$. I still am watching Obama but he has stumbled badly recently and showed he is not that tough and she will work him over.

Gore is a clown and is done - he should stick with movies or something. He can go hangout with Kerry (psst watch out for Curt Shilling in 2008 JK)

Abbot - sweet

Hect - nice

Maureen Dowd is a bitter old maid that thinks (& often writes) like she is 30 something. Note to Maureen - no amount of photoshopped book covers, tight sweaters or plunging necklines will make you look hot. Your shot & you got left without a chair when the music stopped...20 years ago.

Many left wing posts are correct that Iraq is a big problem for the Repubs, but that should change going forward as we are going to cycle out of Iraq and this surge is going to crack down hard on insurgents. So, things will look real different in 2008

The thing no one mentions. The Elephant in the room for the Libs is another four letter country in the region....it's called Iran.

They are running full steam towards nukes & perhaps even nuke war with Israel and maybe even us. That will be the story of 2007, at least what plays out there. This could trump all else.

As far as this thread goes - Hilary is fine for the nomination right now - her's to lose.

JDV

3. Re: Hillary -Mission Unaccomplished

Captain, hailing frequencies are apparently open again.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Link, please.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Who do we suppose would be HRC's running mate?

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Boom, of course.

7. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Richardson?

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I don't know who Hillary would choose, but it should be pointed out that running mates hardly ever matter. Remember Dan Quayle getting stomped by Lloyd Benson in the VP debate and being widely made fun of for his inability to spell potato among other things, and it didn't matter. Cheney was never beloved, but it didn't matter.

I guess an argument could be made that Lyndon Johnson helped Kennedy win some Southern states when he was elected, but if that is an accurate portrayal I would think it is more of the exception rather than the rule.

9. Re: Hillary -Mission Unaccomplished

"The thing no one mentions. The Elephant in the room for the Libs is another four letter country in the region....it's called Iran."

Really?
    Iran is a four-letter country in the region, and an Elephant in the room, and no one mentions it?
    Who knew?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What is this Iran you speak of? Does it pull hot chicks?

11. Re: Hillary -Mission Unaccomplished

REAL.

12. printdust

printdust New Member

I know someone in Arkansas, a nurse and home health executive, who worked on a committee under Hillary's behind-the-scenes health care work there. I think she'd challenge Hillary's "knowledge of health care" based on her comment to me that those meetings were the biggest smear of politics over a substance the politicians had absolutely no expertise in three-ring circus she's ever witnessed. And she's a Democrat, by the way.

Draft saved Draft deleted