1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

fencing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

On Monday, the owner of a local fencing school called to invite me to participate in a rather unique event. It's called Media Duel and it's a charity beginner's fencing (foil) tournament for members of the media.
    It sounds like fun and I don't mind embarassing myself for a good cause so I'm going to give it a go. May even take a few lessons at the place first.
    Has anyone here ever fenced? If so what's it like?

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I've white-washed a fence before. But that's probably not what you're looking for. :D

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I sold stolen good before, but bet that's not it either

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Did it for grins in high school and took lessons with one of my college roommates.

Don't fence with someone you live with. Especially if you're as bad as I was.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I've never fenced, but I imagine it's great fun. Think Errol Flynn, and you should be ok.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Does that include an attraction to under-age girls?

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You'll need to check with cradlesnatcher on that one.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Local rec department had some fencing lessons a year or two ago. I wanted to go, but I was stuck working nights, when the lessons were.
    If they offer them again, I'm taking it up.

9. Never fenced, but it sounds like fun. You should go.

10. I've been fencing since I was a freshman in college, and one of the young FB's just finished his college career. I've never had more fun.
    It is as romantic as you might think it is, at least to me, but it is hard goddamn work, like boxing, but in a straight line.
    Go do it. You'll be back, I promise.
    And remember, arm before your leg on the lunge.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Take a pistol.

I've fenced most of our 12 acres.

Draft saved Draft deleted