1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Female play-by-play baseball announcers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Count me among the Pam Ward fans. She's better than 95% of the other PBP announcers in the business. I can count on my shaft and balls the number of men I'd rather hear do PBP for a college football game.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You hate the women, or their work?

I agree with 21. And, male or female, I like a good voice and good announcing skills. The gender doesn't matter. There are women's voices I can't enjoy listening to, and the same is true of some men behind the microphone.

Also, I like Pam Ward, personally (met her and talked with her a few times) and as an announcer. I know she busts her ass, and she's better than a lot of the men out there.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

And I'd be concerned about the professionalism of a male sportswriter who takes fanboi pictures when he's supposed to be working. Glass houses, and all.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agreed. There are a lot of people in our business -- both print and TV/radio -- who might not have played the game we cover on our beats, but because they're smart and insightful, they do a good job and run with it. I have never had a problem with Pam Ward on college football and basketball broadcasts, because she knows what she's talking about.

If someone like her did baseball, I would be fine with that, too.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

For my play by play in any sport I like a certain tone and cadence, usually deeper. just going on voice, women are likely better suited for colour. And this goes for any colour guy or girl they better not be cliche driven and lacking depth of knowledge in the sport. There is definitely a lack of both good play by play and colour commentators.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Pam Ward is sharp as is Doris Burke on basketball broadcasts.

And whoever blasted women on basketball haven't heard Beth Mowins and Debbie Antonelli. A pretty good team that calls a solid game and doesn't lean on the cliche machine.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I would rather listen to Bob Knight on constant loop than spend 30 seconds listening to Jeanne Zelasko.

"Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, ladies" *giggle*

(gag)

8. micke77

micke77 Member

Doris Burke is outstanding, one of the very best in the business.
    I've always enjoyed her insights and analysis.
    Pam Ward has done a good job as a play-by-play announcer and don't have any problem with her.
    In fact, i can weather Pam Ward much more than a Dick Vitale. five minutes of Dicky V and I wanna scream, "shut up and let me watch this game in peace."

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

only if they were very, very hot.

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The problem with Zelsasko as a play-by-play announcer is the problem I have with all sportscasters who try to transition from behind a desk to calling games. It's a different skill set, and I think you have to be truly extraordinary to jump from behind a desk to calling games, men and women. It can happen, but it's really, really hard.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The last thing in the world I would ever want to be known as is a sexist. But I can't say I enjoy Pam Ward doing a football game. And I know she's competent; it must be her rhythms, her delivery, something. Just doesn't work for me.

Jeanne Zelasko, I think, is very good on the FOX pregame show. Haven't heard her do pxp, but I'd be interested to.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Valid point. Unfair or not, every time I think of Zelasko I think of her cutting off Ernie Harwell. She's used to speaking within small time windows and that's exactly what baseball pxp isn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted