1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Female play-by-play baseball announcers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Feb 6, 2009.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Two radio guys in LA were asking if baseball fans would accept a female play-by-play announcer, pitching Jeanne Zelasko for a part-time opening on Dodgers TV.
    They suggested acceptance would be generational, with older male fans against the idea.
    Anyone who has heard Suzyn Waldman would likely be opposed, as well.
    I would be concerned about giving the job to someone who hasn't paid her dues. Most PBP guys, who weren't players, worked their way up through the minors before getting their opportunity.
    Don't know if the competant Zelasko has ever announced a game.
    Would you want to hear a female announcing baseball?

2. i've hated every woman i've ever heard do women's basketball. but i assume not because they're women, but because they've been completely lacking in insight & full of cliches and truisms

i'd have no problem with a woman pxb, if she has the qualities i like in any pxp person - don't be afraid to shut up for a moment, don't insult me by giving me the obvious and stating it like it's deep, and don't smack me over the head with your voice

i actually like waldman

i know i'm in the minority, but i can't help it

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

If they give her an audition and like what they hear, then why the hell not?

4. micke77

micke77 Member

the problem is that any of us guys who make a statement or even "rant" about the vast majority of female play-by-play announcers not up to standard is that we're immediately label as, how can I term it, "cavemen" or Grumpy Old Men from another era.
    hey, if the woman is bad, she's bad.
    if she's good, i have no problem at all with it.
    but when i observe that she's bad, I don't want somebody on "The View" taking me to the cleaners for it just because I am a guy.
    again, if said person (man, woman, child, alien, etc.) is bad at the job, he or she is bad.
    but if they pass the test and are good, bring 'em in the press box.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Considering most men doing pxp are completely horrendous at the job, a woman should be able to succeed by being merely lousy.

6. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Whenever I flip on the Big Ten noon football game that Pam Ward is calling, it takes me a minute to adjust to the higher pitch.

By the second series, I could care less. She's neither great nor awful. She does the job making as many mistakes but also as many fine descriptions as any run-of-the-mill guy.

It just takes a second of tone-adjustment when you tune in.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As Charlotte Whitton, the former mayor of Ottawa back in the 50's and 60's said, "Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."

A feminist long before the term even existed.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bingo.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I want the best play-by-play announcers possible, regardless of what they have between their legs.

10. WFW.

11. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Keep the feminist down or this country is going to go to the dogs.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Simply unpossible for all the women to be worse than all the men.

Draft saved Draft deleted