1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Female OH Legislator Wants Law Regulating Men's Reproductive Health

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Mar 12, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I've switched sides; this country needs more abortions.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Do you seriously think the folks who are trying to impose these regulations care if it's pre-conception or post-conception? Remember, this is all about freedom of religion. And there are religous people out there who believe all sperms and eggs are sacred, fertilized or not.

3. Baron Scicluna

For the second time in my life, this idiot has inspired me to write a letter of protest to a government official. This is what I wrote to her:

Dear Rep. Lesko:

As a United States taxpayer, I find your rationale for House Bill 2625 to be an outrageous display of facism that you disguise as religious freedom.

You were quoted as saying "I believe we live in America. We don’t live in the Soviet Union. So, government should not be telling the organizations or mom and pop employers to do something against their moral beliefs.”

http://www.statepress.com/2012/03/12/senate-judiciary-committee-endorses-controversial-contraceptive-bill/

Assuming you were accurately quoted, Ms. Lesko, does this also mean that a private business should be allowed to discriminate against anyone on the basis of color? Yes or no? Because, if you know your history, you would know that it took the government to force organizations, which included school boards, and employers that they could not discriminate against African-Americans. Businesses argued that they had a right to discriminate. But if you truly mean what you were quoted, Ms. Lesko, that means you are a racist.

“My whole legislation is about our First Amendment rights and freedom of religion. My bill does is that an employer can opt out of the mandate if they have any religious objections.”

I'd like to ask you, Ms. Lesko, if you are all about the First Amendment, then why are you willing to restrict a woman's First Amendment right to privacy, and to have sex whenever she wants. For a party that considers bribery to be a First Amendment right (i.e., raising and spending campaign money), you, and your supporters sure are hypocritical in that you consider giving money to be a form of free speech, but sex is not."

And another point I would like to make. You are correct. This is not the Soviet Union. But this also isn't Middle East, where women are subjugated to the whims of not only their government, but also their employer. You point out that this is about religious freedom. Here's another question for you: Would you be in favor of an Islamic male employer forcing a female employee to have sex with them upon penalty of being fired because of some obscure reference to female inferiority in Sharia Law? After all, that can be considered religous freedom too.

In summary, Ms. Lesko, do your consitutiuents, the State of Arizona, and the United States of America a favor and stop being a hypocrite and imposing your religious beliefs on the rest of us.

Sincerely,

Baron Scicluna

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

As usual, the corporatist-puppet AP leads the story with the GOP's description of its own bill. Must have gotten the copy straight from Koch.Com.

1. Woman, apparently of sound mind and not under apparent duress, walks in and says "I want an abortion."

2. Doctor: "Are you sure?"

3. Woman: "Yes."

End of story.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm sympathetic to the position of the Catholic church that got this whole mess started, but that's a terrible bill. Yuck.

That said, the dramatization is silly and misleading (first amendment?).

By the way, Baron, you're being willfully obtuse about his point on pre- and post-fertilization. You don't need to score a point each time.

6. Baron Scicluna

Sorry, but as the saying goes, sometimes you've got to fight fire with fire.

7. Stuff like this isn't funny or productive.

8. Yes. Count me as one of them. I dont think Griswold was correctly decided, but Roe wrongly.

The freedom of religion stuff wasn't what I was talking about. That's easier. The Catholic Church and affiliated organizations can't get the government to ban contraceptives, but nor should the government force the church or organizations to purchase it, directly or indirectly. If the government thinks all women should have birth control without a payment, it should provide it directly, through its agents and willing organizations.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I figured as much when I heard "Adidas" by Big Boi and Killer Mike

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It's not meant to be either.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3/14/12

http://www.doonesbury.com

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member