1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Female OH Legislator Wants Law Regulating Men's Reproductive Health

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It depends on the type of stem-cell research. Some eggs are fertilized, some are not:

http://intlstemcell.blogspot.com/2011/10/international-stem-cell-corporations.html

"Unlike embryonic stem cells, the human eggs used to create parthenogenetic stem cells are never fertilized and cannot become a human being. No viable embryo is ever harmed or destroyed."

More about the company:

http://www.internationalstemcell.com/

"International Stem Cell Corporation (OTCBB:ISCO) develops a powerful new stem cell technology called “parthenogenesis” that promises to significantly advance the field of regenerative medicine by addressing the significant problem of immune-rejection. Parthenogenesis utilizes unfertilized human eggs to create “parthenogenetic” stem cells (hpSC) that can be “immune-matched” to millions of persons of differing sexes and racial backgrounds."

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The most offensive part of some of these bills are the parts allowing doctors to lie to a patient if the doctor thinks it will prevent an abortion.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I should have specified 'wand' sonogram. Sorry.

This way to the shaming room.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Speaking of which . . .

http://www.doonesbury.com

5. Baron Scicluna

It doesn't matter if the eggs are fertilized or not. Each of the eggs can be seen as a potential life.

Hence, the "every sperm is sacred" spoofs.

6. Except no one is arguing that the government should be banning people from destroying unfertilized eggs or sperm. The counter-analogy is inapt.

And, to support this distinction, the court has used the term "potential human life" — which I have used in the beginning — to refer only to zygotes and beyond (post-conception).

The court — unwilling to recognize the zygote as a "life," but willing to recognize government interest, calls it "potential human life." Opponents of the morning after pill, for example, would call it "life."

7. Baron Scicluna

Which is my point. Opponents of the morning-after pill call it life, and want the pill banned. Some of these states, with these "personhood" proposals, would do exactly that. And they claim there is a "government interest" to do so.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Who's gonna pay for all these ultrasounds? Ultrasounds ain't free.

If MY TAX MONEY is gonna pay to have ultrasound scanners shoved up va-jay-jays, I wanna see the videos on YouTube.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bill being shoved through by Teahadists in Arizona would expressly allow employers to fire employees simply for using birth control.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/03/13/fired-for-using-birth-control-it-could-be-possible-in-arizona/

No Vagina Left Unprobed.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Maybe government also shouldn't be telling people that they can't take FDA-approved medication as directed. This isn't the Soviet Union.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

12. You were conflating post conception and pre conception. The difference is significant, and that's what I pointed out.

Saying the government has an interest in a zygote does NOT logically require one to say the government has an interest in sperm or unfertilized eggs. That's why comparing the "sperm depository" regulation to the morning after pill doesn't prove anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted