1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feinstein vs. Katz

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Apr 9, 2008.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Damn, I remember the Katha Quinn thing when it happened.

That was sad.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Could this have something to do with the past? John Feinstein did work for ESPN years ago.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Agreed.

Katz is an amazing reporter, and a very good writer. The medium doesn't matter; he breaks news constantly, and his insights are good reading.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Having read the column, it's OK. Having seen none of the other nominations, I can't say it's deserving of any kind of award, but as I was reading it I never said to myself, "Wow, this is good," or "Gee, that's a clever way of saying it."

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bilas may not have won you over with his column, but he just won me over on the radio the other day. Big ups to a Sun writer for posting the conversation with a "board favorite" on his blog today. Great stuff.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/lifeofkings/2008/04/this_is_why_jay_bilas_is_cool_1.html

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No offense, but he really made Le Betard sound stupid. Or, more accurately, distilled how stupid Le Betard sounded.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Making DLB sound like a tool isn't all that difficult.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I agree. But I have never heard someone carve up that asshole like that ever.

How come Le Batard isn't getting suspended? Just because he offers his assertions with a clumsy question mark at the end of the sentences?

Jay Bilas cannot possibly win enough awards.

9. I read the Donovan column.
    I'd give it a B- if someone turned it into me for a class assignment.
    Anyway, I thought I'd share a Katha story. She was at SJ when I first started out, and she was one of the best people I ever met. When she first got diagnosed with the liver cancer that would eventually kill her, I was with her at a game when SJ was on the bubble for the tournament. The game came down to the end and some SJ player was on the line for some Memphis-meltdown free throws. Katha started to whisper. What are you saying, I asked.
    "I'm praying he hits these because I don't want to go to the NIT," she said. "I hate the NIT I'd rather go to chemotherapy than go to the NIT."
    She was all class, that girl.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Didn't St. John's dedicate the '89 NIT title to Katha?

If I recall correctly, she was in her final days as the Redmen were playing in the tourney.

11. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Wish I could have known Katha. Sounds like the quintessential New Yawker. Malcolm Moran and Jim O'Connell have a ton of stories about her, all great.

Draft saved Draft deleted