1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feinstein Fails History 101

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Feb 22, 2013.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

John Feinstein files this from his ACC/Patriot League bubble, saying it's time to disband the NCAA.

A good premise, but he loses me in two areas.

This paragraph: "The NCAA accelerated its path toward irrelevance years ago, when Emmert's predecessors, Cedric Dempsey and Myles Brand, ceded control of football to conference commissioners - wanting no blame for the cartel that was the Bowl Championship Series when it was created 15 years ago. That abdication of ownership is a major reason why conference realignment has been allowed to burn out of control like a wildfire."

Well, not exactly. He's ignoring the Supreme Court ruling that stripped the NCAA of its control of college football TV. That's where the wildfire started and there was no "abdication of ownership."

Second, King John's solution is ACC-centric. He's carrying coach K's water suggesting 3 college commissioners are needed. If Bill Self or Nick Saban suggested a similar idea, I doubt Feinstein would be an advocate.

Go back to writing books, John.

2. boxingnut4324

boxingnut4324 Member

Well he could just stop writing in general. That would be nice.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They need to have something to put in the 2.98 bin at Books a Million.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And after a while, once he realizes his dumb idea will never happen, he'll blame it on the fact that HE wrote about it and that the NCAA didn't do what he said because they hate him.

He's very proud of the fact that people hate him.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Good points on the court decision and his ACC mancrush.

The big part of the NCAA's abdicating its responsibility is moving away from its bastion of amateurism for the big-time sports and chasing the all-mighty dollar like everyone else. There's nothing necessarily wrong with it, except they limit the people who are earning those dollars for them from participating in the capitalistic enterprise as well.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's funny... I think I've gotten several of his books that way, now that they're no longer sent to me for free.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Feinstein, Bissinger, Bayless, Lupica: Mount Hushmore.

Draft saved Draft deleted