1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feingold Won't Run for President

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Nov 12, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=529983

I was actually kinda bullish on his chances. I thought he could emerge Howard Dean-style. Dean's problem was that he never handled the transition from insurgent candidate to front-runner. I thought that Feingold might be smart enough and politically adept enough to do it. And his style of folksy, funny political ads would have played well. My guess is that he saw Obama taking his spot as the lefty media darling and got out.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'd vote for Feingold in a heartbeat.

3. Sorry to hear this. At least, I thought, we'd have one candidate addressing the constitutional crisis of an authoritarian Executive branch, since he'd been out front on so many of those issues.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

The country is not ready to embrace another liberal senator from Minnesota, no matter how appealing.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Uh, Feingold is from Wisconsin, NOT Minnesota.

This is NOT a good day to mix up the two states.

6. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Hey Rosie, Packers 10, Viqueens 0! ;D

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Being Jewish is pains me to say this (and I hope I'm wrong in my thinking), but Feingold would have had no chance in the general election. Most of the south and probably most of the midwest isn't ready to vote for a Jew as president. The religious extremists, which tend to be very strong in getting out the vote in those regions, wouldn't want a Christ killer in the White House. Never mind the fact that Feingold is pro-choice, and pro gay rights, if his religion doesn't kill him among the fundamentalists, his stances on those two issues would.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Funny, I do believe the score is VIKINGS 14, Slackers 10.

:D

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Feingold not running. USA dodges a bullet. Not that he could have actually won.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Ahem. ;)

I think Donald Driver is still running.

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Didn't I ground you on the NFL thread?!

Get to your room, Slacker Backer!

12. And yet, a ticket with a Jew on it in 2000 got more than 500,000 more votes than anybody else in 2000. Yes it was vice president, but still.

Draft saved Draft deleted