1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feeling challenged

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake Dowling, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If departures from AP style are not part of a thought-out, written style book to be used as policy for a particular newspaper, I could understand why a reporter would be irritated.

If your paper has a style book, just point out the exceptions that your paper makes to AP style.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"If the NY Times can have their own style guide"...should end the discussion. Doesn't the AP Stylebook clearly layout in the intro its a stylebook and not a map and should be adapted to local needs? If the reporter can't adapt - or doesn't know that a reporter needs to adapt - you are doing the reporter a favor by making this clear early on.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The issue seems far bigger than AP style. It seems like a reporter has come into a shop and decided to dictate terms of how they’ll do - or not do -‘their job, to the point of creating a safe space around their desk.

Generally, it’s hard to pacify or trick such people.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

In a year she’ll be a blogger for Deadspin.

Batman likes this.
  5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Yes, the AP style thing can be as short a discussion as, "Because I said so" and moving on. If she can't handle that, I'm sure you can find someone who can.

Little Susie Superstar needs a reality check, that includes being told, "You're not irreplaceable." That's something most people figure out on their own, but if she's this enamored with herself, you may be doing her a favor to make her learn that ASAP.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The sooner you learn "the paper will come out without you," the better off you'll be. For several reasons.

7. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Let her crash and burn. I bet she’s an absolute maniac on twitter

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If she said they taught her how to spell disregarding you should listen. Not sure about her other points.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If she's approaching one year, doesn't that mean evaluation time? That would be the place to settle some things. And if you control her ability to get a raise, that's a way to get someone's attention in a hurry.

10. sporty

sporty Member

Is someone going to step up and tell this kid that based on this post he needs some help, as well? Maybe he can learn a thing or two from her.

11. sporty

sporty Member

Yup!

12. Josh Armstrong

Josh Armstrong New Member

-- Talk with her one-on-one, and make sure you have a simple, specific message you want her to remember from the meeting. Keep repeating it, especially at the beginning and end of the meeting. You can go so far as just saying, "Here is the key thing I want to get across: ###########. We can talk about other things, but that's the one thing I want you to remember when we're working together." Send a follow-up email thanking her for meeting with you, reiterating that message, and setting up a touch-base chat on this a week or a month later.

-- Also, use this as an opportunity to look in the mirror. The most important thing is your paper being the best it can be with the resources you have on hand. If she learned something in school that is useful, great. Ask her how it will make the paper better for your readers. Frame all discussions around that, and be open to making changes. If she can't explain the readers' benefit to your satisfaction, say so and move on. If you don't have the resources or the time, say so and move on. Listen, be honest (especially when you don't know), and pull rank only as a last resort.

-- Sure, AP Style isn't the be-all, end-all, but are you applying style consistently? Do you need an internal style guide? It can be as easy as setting up a google doc that only you can edit.

-- Go back to her training and onboarding. What could have been done differently? Do you need more structure? More coaching? Less?

Five years ain't a long time. I'm glad you're feeling challenged. You should be at this stage in the game. Step up to the challenge and respond with your readers' and your coworkers' best interests in mind.

HanSenSE, maumann and Dog8Cats like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted