1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feel free to offer some solutions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DyePack, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I want the Constitution to be respected and the undermining of the Bill of Rights to stop, even if makes the President's or anybody else's job more difficult.

I want a strong military and intelligence community and just lip-service paid to them.

I want serious encouragement of alternative fuels (solar, wind, hydro) for heating and cooling our homes.

I want our National Parks and wild lands to be protected.

(And repealing the ban on Internet gambling would be nice too.)

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Kaylee, this is the solutions thread. The rest of the board is an open market for Bitchfest '06.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Kaylee, I didn't realize it was such a tough question.

Let's hear your moral guidelines. Better still, let's hear what moral guidelines should shape our government and laws.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I want DyePack to be elected the representative from wherever the hell he is, and I want his national health care solution implemented. Now.

5. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Dixie;

I'm really not understanding your tone.

I offered one of my own solution suggestions.

It was rebuffed, and though it was rebuffed by one of the board's more contemptable members, it did present, I thought, an interesting question.

Like it or not, the issue of religion in politics is a serious issue for many. Living in a mostly-conservative state, I grow uncomfortable when my political representatives claim to use their personal religion as a basis for their platforms. It wouldn't be a problem if I shared that religion, but I don't. And as any minority (in this case religious), I hope for at least protection, if not representation.

So much time is being spent, during a very turbulent period, on issues that seem to have little or no impact on the country around us. I don't vote so I can see those that represent me stump about marriage, a woman's right to choose and so forth. I'm not interested in "family values" or a "bible-based system of beliefs." I want lawmakers who would rather concentrate on crime, schools, the war, you name it, and I'd rather they mold their beliefs through research, experience and listening to voters rather than going terrestrial.

If you'd rather have it the other way, that's fine. But I hardly think venting concerns about the push of a certain (and at times virulent, it seems) morality counts as bitching.

6. FileNotFound

Let me answer that.

Let's start with:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Then, throw in:
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Then:

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

And then the other seven amendments (even the one about bearing arms; I have no need to bear an arm, nor any interest in doing same, but I respect the philosophy under which the Second Amendment was written).

Top it all off with:

Thou shalt not kill.

And that's a moral code I can be real comfortable with.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not to 'jack this into a theological mythological debate, but Christianity didn't exactly come up with its own moral ideas. "No murder," "no stealing" and "keeping your wife at home" had been around at least since the time of Hammurabi.

And I happened to, believe it or not, *like* the separation of church and state. Thought it made our country better. And I think it might be something we should look at going back to.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Another vague answer by Kaylee.

Oh and Files, add "Hate Crimes" to your list. I mean, we have to distinguish between a random taking of life and a hate-induced taking of life, don't we? ;)

9. FileNotFound

No. And let me add state-sanctioned murder to the types of murder I think are immoral.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Just because Christianity doesn't have ownership of those guidelines for living, what the hell is wrong with them? Ignoramuses attack them not because of what they are, but because they are Christian values.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, how about no terrorist attacks on our soil since 9/11 when you damn well know the terrorists were trying?

How about a record-high Dow with stock prices built on real corporate earnings and profits instead of fantasies that led to the tech bubble of 1997-98?

How about record-low unemployment?

How about lowered tax rates for everybody that has led to a strong economy and tax revenues just roaring in?

Yeah, things really sucked because of Bush. It will be fun to watch the dems fuck all those things up and then point fingers. And you know it will happen and you know that's what they'll do.

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Well then, free those poor terrorists in Cuba. And invite bin Laden over for tea so we may "understand" each other. Schedule it at Pelosi's house.

Draft saved Draft deleted