1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feds raid Jason Grimsley's distributor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 27, 2007.

1. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

It's JDV, whatever.

2. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

The rumor mill is in full motion. I have to say that I ignorantly jumped on a stupid notion last year when the Grimsley thing broke. Essentially, I somehow connected him with Greinke, who had played with Grimsley. In my full conspiracy-theory glory, I reasoned that their last names would have meant close proximity in locker rooms, at least on the road and possibly in spring training. Of course, Greinke had depression, so that factored in. I actually checked into it and discovered that I am an idiot. I was told by someone close to Greinke that I couldn't have been further from the truth.

Little did I know that there was a steroid link just a 15-minute drive from Greinke's old high school. Of course, this was an online thing, so it just as well could have been based in upper Mongolia.

Lastly, weren't there rumors already swirling about a Florida link to the source of some of the steroids that were making their way into MLB?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hmmm -Johnny Damon was in Orlando the last 3 days attending to personal business

4. HeinekenMan

LOL. I know. I almost had to force myself to keep from mentioning it. Maybe he's really a government spy just posing as an idiot.

5. creamora

creamora Member

People from all walks of life now are using performance enhancing substances. From athletes to movie stars, there seems to be an ever-growing need to
    find a competitive edge. Maybe it's time to fully realize that we are now living in a pharmacologically enhanced society.

Creamora

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wow. That's deep. No one's ever pondered that before.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yeah. Because obviously the Steelers used them all, no chance he sold any to JDV down at the gym.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes. Because of Florida's demographics, a lot of "fountain of youth" clinics have opened up and thousands upon thousands of older (usually well off because it's expensive) folks who are prescribed HGH.

I read this in Amy Shipley's story in the WX Post:

The Times-Union said an NFL team physician used a personal credit card to purchase $150,000 in testosterone and human growth hormone last year but told investigators they were for legitimate prescriptions.

9. HeinekenMan

Bravo to the folks in Albany.

I just read the Orlando Sentinel's A1 story on the arrests. It doesn't quote JDV, in case you're wondering.

As for the journalistic side of this: Let me ask you this: When does this story leave the news department and go to the sports department? Right now, it's an A1 news story. But when the ties to sports emerge, will it shift to another department and new writers?

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Probably shouldn't ever be sent to sports, except for the sidebar where the sports writer gets to go up to suspect in locker room and "confront" him on the issue so that he can get a "no comment" or "get out of my face."

The people who should be reporting are the people who cover cops and courts and understand those arenas in which this game is going to be played.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The Broncos don't have to worry - looks like Jay Cutler's clean for now.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

The Grienke thing killed me. Had you ever seen this kid? He's, quite literally, the last guy that looks like he takes steroids.

Draft saved Draft deleted