1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feds, grand jury, apparently targeting Armstrong for doping

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jersey_Guy, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Agreed finishing as he did last year should have been enough. A valiant effort and just came up short. This year its akin to Joe Montana playing for the Chiefs and Willie Mays dropping the ball in the outfield at the end of his career. Guys trying to hang on for too long.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Joe Montanna led the Chiefs to the AFC championship game and played quite well for them.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ah. Another Jonathan Littman link from cranberry. Littman's opinion, and his demonstration that he has Michael Rains on speed dial, are noted. You can find variations of Littman's opinions about Novitzky over and over again on Yahoo! too.

Jonathan Littman's, "My view of Jeff Novitzky is that he is Captain Ahab looking for Moby Dick" stuff can easily be said of Littman himself, you know. Who is more obsessed? Novitzky with Bonds or Littman with Novitzky? Cause Littman's work amounts to his own personal anger and opinion that Novitzky's investigations have been a waste of time and money. Littman would LOVE to write something with evidence of wrongdoing by Novitzky. Planted evidence. Going after an innocent person. Some kind of criminal wrong doing. He's never been able to. So instead, all we have is a treasure trove of Jonathan Littman's opinions about what a waste of time Novitzky's investigations are, mixed in with Littman's personal opinions of the man, with hand-picked quotes from various people who hate Novitzky -- Barry Bonds' lawyer, Victor Conte, anyone who is on the same page as Littman.

That really qualifies as "a lot more reporting and information than any you've seen"? Really? You should broaden your reading list a little. Game of Shadows might be a good start.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And today it's reported Trek is cooperating with the investigation into USPS.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I would be willing to wager that there has NEVER been a winner of the Tour de France who didn't use some sort of performance-enhancing substance.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

How do you define "performance-enhancing substance"? I'll bet with certainty that the winner in 1904 wasn't on a diet of EPO, testosterone and blood doping.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Maybe in the past 40 years? The thing I never got was that Lance won all those races and everyone from like #2 thru 42 was cheating in some form or another, but he was supposed to be Mr. Clean?

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Yeah, bad example,but it was the first one to pop in my head. Maybe Jordan on the Wizards?

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

In the earliest days the riders took a steady diet of cocaine, brandy and strychnine. I'm not exactly sure what that was supposed to do, seeing as how strychnine actually thins the blood which is the opposite of EPO, but they took it.

Post-WWII until the 80s was amphetamines then it went to steroids to EPO to CERA and HGH to who knows what now.

That's why I say the only ones that seem to be up in arms about PEDs in cycling are those outside the sport. For those of us who know the history, it's sort of like "So-and-so is on PEDs, what's your point?"

10. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Wisconsin Bike-Maker Interviewed in Armstrong Doping Probe
    Posted Friday August 6, 2010 2 hours ago

WATERLOO, Wis. (WTAQ) - A Wisconsin bicycle maker has been interviewed by federal investigators who are looking into new doping allegations against cycling legend Lance Armstrong.

Bill Mashek of the Trek Bicycle Corporation in Waterloo tells the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that federal investigators contacted the firm this summer. That was just before the Tour de France began in July.

Mashek would give not details of what they discussed – but he said Trek is cooperating fully in the government’s investigation. Trek and its foundation have been associated with Armstrong since 1998.

The New York Times reported Thursday that federal prosecutors have intensified their probe of Armstrong since the Tour de France. An anonymous teammate of Armstrong’s said the seven-time Tour champion knew of drug use among the former U.S. Postal Service team, and encouraged that use.

http://www.wtaq.com/news/articles/2010/aug/06/wisconsin-bike-maker-interviewed-armstrong-doping-/

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The only people "up in arms" about it are those who'll relish seeing Armstrong knocked off his pedestal.

The vast, vast majority of sports fans don't give a damn.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Piss on the haters

Draft saved Draft deleted