1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Federalists Nos. 1-85 ... whaddya got?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportsed, Jul 4, 2006.

1. sportsed

sportsed Guest

I got a gift card to a bookstore for my birthday and I'm thinking of picking up an annotated version of the Fed Papers. This wasn't covered in any History class I took so, embarrassingly, I know nothing about the work of Madison & friends.

To all who have read them: Are they worth picking up for a little bit of, oh, light reading? Are they more poignant given today's political clime? Do they really give you a sense of what the country was going through in the 1780s? Should I just pick out four or five of the best ones and read them online?

I know the Federalist Society is a conservative/libertarian outfit. For this left-of-center schmuck, are the Fed papers going to read like Victor Davis Hansen in a powdered wig or are they politically neutral?

Thanks for any input you can give me.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Check out "Infamous Scribblers" about the history of journalism and our founding fathers. It doesn't cover all the Federalist Papers, but it does give an extremely excellent idea of the political thought back then, for both the Federalists of Hamilton and the Republicans of Jefferson.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Please put a spoilers warning in the title.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I have a book of all the federalist papers, started it, but it down and haven't ever picked it back up. It's not that I don't want to, but getting through some these is a little more work than I had hoped they would be. Many of the papers are quite policy wonkish, which is cool if you're into that. You might come across one out of five that have a striking poignancy with events of today, but overall I wouldn't classify this as light reading, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted