1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Federal court: Paper money discriminates against the blind

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, May 20, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's always nice to buy a beer and lose 5 lbs at the same time.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The only place I've ever gotten them is out of postage stamp vending machines. And people always look at you funny when you try to use them.

The bigger issue with them here is that all other vending machines don't take them. If we could convince the vending machine makers to modify the machines to take dollar coins, I think they'd take off, because there's not a soul alive who hasn't wanted a Coke, only to discover the damn machine wouldn't take their beat-up dollar bill.

But, and this really shouldn't be a surprise, the dissenting judge in this case actually cited the hardship on vending-machine makers as a reason not to force the adaptation of currency for the blind.

To the argument that "blind people can adapt," the ENTIRE purpose of the ADA is that government and other institutions are required to adapt on the behalf of the disabled, not the other way around. Relying on the general goodness of people didn't work, so we had to codify it.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Desk,

That's a little odd.

After they thought about it, the vending machine people up here saw the loonie and the toonie as a way of making more money.

By adapting their machines to just a different coin (which wasn't all that difficult from what I understand), they could now charge a dollar for that Coke instead of 75 cents. That extra quarter or whatever would offset any costs of adapting the machines

Anyway, the only way your dollar coins will be universally accepted is if there's no alternative. Pretty simple.

People bitched and moaned about them up here (we're Canadians, after all) but we just take 'em for granted.

Oh, and KFC Canada runs a promotion called "Toonie Tuesday" For $2.00 you get two pieces of chicken and fries. :)

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and the runs

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, duh. Try burying a paper dollar bill under the faceoff circle in center ice. :)

And JC ... :-X :-X

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think that loonie is in the HHOF.
    Tough luck. :)

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

AAAAARRRRRR! [​IMG]

Seriously, though ... I'd much rather see dollar coins than dollar bills — the old, large dollar coins and not the more recent ones, which seem to be of a size chosen specifically to undermine their adoption because they feel just like quarters.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

People look at dollar coins like they were Confederate money.
    I tried to use a dollar coin at a store once and they wouldn't take it.
    It went into my change jar and when ever I fill the jar, I take it to the grocery store and that change into paper money machine they have.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

British pound coins are about the diameter of a U.S. quarter (a little smaller), but they are probably three times the thickness. There's no mistaking one in your pocket.

U.S. dollar coins will take off as soon as dollar bills are eliminated. Yeah, there may be some confusion, but there can't be any more than confusing a dime and a penny once people get used to using them.

10. ATLienCP

ATLienCP Member

My step-father is blind and he folds the denominations differently. A twenty maybe folded length wise and a ten maybe folded width wise.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's like expensive origami :)

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

My mother did that.
    It only works if the person handing the money gives the correct denomination.
    Which, unfortunately, doesn't always happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted