1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feast of the Seven Fishes---Updated

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Dec 20, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Not being Italian or Catholic, I wasn't all that familiar with this Christmas Eve dinner.

Anyway, the theatre critic for the Toronto Star has a nice piece on the tradition, along with recipes updated for modern tastebuds.

The only trouble was that – as I started to research – I realized that no one in my circle of family and friends would want to eat a traditional "Seven Fishes" dinner. Salted cod and eel aren't high on anybody's list of fave foods anymore.

http://www.thestar.com/Life/article/163081

Nice piece. Anybody here follow this tradition?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

I've never been through the real seven fishes feast but as a kids we used to go to my aunt's on XMass Eve and she'd do a variation with baccala (not cod balls but dried strips of salted cod that look like cardboard), calamari, scunglli, mussels, lobster and a few other fish dishes.
    My 2 aunts and my father used to eat the baccala and scungilli and reminisce about how "Mama" (my Italian grandmother) used to spend two days preparing the seven fishes.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh.
    my.
    god.

4. There are folks who follow the tradition in Boston. I went once. I discovered that, indeed, I had no taste for eel.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Did you try the baccala? Disgusting!

6. Hey, after four shots of Galliano, I think I ate the napkin rings.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

The baccala tastes like the napkins...only saltier.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Tastes like chicken!

It's at times like this I wish I had been born 1)Italian and 2) Catholic

I can't think of any seafood I don't like.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I bet my Grandmother's lutefisk could make you rethink that statement.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Baccala will change that.

11. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

My wife is Italian, Catholic and from Boston. They used to do the 7 fishes on Christmas Eve. Now we do a modified version. My mother-in-law did do the traditional smelt a few years ago, and I wan't loving that.

Now, we start with sushi, have pasta with squid sauce, crab cakes, and lobster. I love the modified tradition. Can't wait for Sunday!

12. tommyp

tommyp Member

1. Yes, eel is just like chicken, which also can be said about alligator.
    2. You can have my Italian Catholic feast of the seven fishes. As a kid, I would have preferred the feast of the seven pizzas.

Draft saved Draft deleted