1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FCS Coordinator, The Sports Network

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by alylemoss, Feb 1, 2010.

1. alylemoss

alylemoss New Member

Company: The Sports Network
    Position: FCS College Football Coordinator
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable

Description: Immediate opportunity for a skilled and organized writer/reporter also willing to display some P.R. and event management skills. On the writing side, the candidate will serve as the only full-time beat writer covering FCS Football (formerly I-AA) on a national basis. Duties include two weekly columns in-season, plus news stories and other features on FCS. Attend and report on several games of interest in FCS per season, including the NCAA Championship. Also attend and report on conference media days throughout FCS, beginning in late July. Must be available for regular radio and television appearances. In the P.R. realm, will oversee, coordinate and execute voting for the TSN-sponsored Walter Payton Award, presented annually to the top player in FCS, as well as the sub-classification's most widely-recognized Top 25 poll and All-America teams. Work regularly with 100+ university and conference media relations directors throughout the country. Point-person for annual FCS Awards dinner, in which the Payton, Buck Buchanan (top defensive player), and Eddie Robinson (top coach) Awards are conferred on the eve of the FCS title game. Primary writing and editing responsibilities for the Awards program. Sound like a lot of work? It is - for roughly half the year, but a relaxed schedule from January through mid-July is enjoyable. Knowledge of FCS football not a pre-requisite, we are simply looking for an organized, assertive professional who can write, be objective, and understand that hitting deadlines is a must, not an option. Must work from on-site, no telecommuters need apply.

Please send cover letter, resume, three (3) writing samples and three (3) professional references to:

Tony Moss
    Senior Editor
    The Sports Network
    2200 Byberry Road, #200
    Hatboro, PA 19040

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

Wow. This is my idea of fun.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Matt Dougherty did a good job with it when I was covering a I-AA school. Then, he left and some guy who wrote about I-AA elsewhere stepped in. Didn't follow his work as much, though.

It's a decent gig, from what I've heard.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Really, they should move this thing to Virginia, the true heart and soul of I-AA football.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Did David Coulson leave or is this a different job?

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Sounds like David's job, although I cannot confirm that. It's always been pretty much a one-person department, right?

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I'm curious about David as well. Seems like he was made for this gig.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It was Dave's job, and I'm not sure if he left on his own. I'm a little bummed right now, to be quite honest. The guy loves FCS football. It is a pretty decent gig, though I think it to be a little too large for one person to do and do right. Of course, that could be said about every sports department in the Country right now.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

No kidding. I wonder if it's required you have to live in Pa.

10. bwright

bwright Member

<quote>Must work from on-site, no telecommuters need apply. </quote>
    Sounds to me like you'd have to live close enough to commute.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Shit, I thought I read it carefully.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Is convicted felon "Mickey Charles" still running TSN?

If not, this might be a decent place to work.

Draft saved Draft deleted