1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FCC approves XM-Sirius merger

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jul 25, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

3 in favor, 2 against.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/25/technology/sirius_xm_approval.ap/index.htm?postversion=2008072520#TOP&eref=rss_topstories

The satellite providers settled the radio industry's complaints by agreeing to pay $19.7 million to the U.S. Treasury for violations related to radio receivers and ground-based signal repeaters.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I haven't been this shocked since a bear shit in the woods.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Or they appointed another Catholic to the position of Pope.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No word on when the merger will take effect (as in when subscribers will be able to receive both sets of programming), unless I just missed it.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

So what? You still have lots of free radio options out there. Let the satellite companies do whatever they want. If they survive, great. If not, well a lot of good people lose some jobs. But this idea that they have a monopoly is ridiculous.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You'll need new hardware for that. If I remember right, you'd have to choose one main service and then pick and choose from the other service's unique programming. If I could keep Sirius' music and add MLB coverage, I'd be all set.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Dear XM,

Just let me add the NFL and CFL from Sirius and I think we'll be good to go.

8. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

About friggin time. It's embarrassing our government dragged this out for so long. How could this have possibly been bad for consumers?

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

10. dargan

dargan Active Member

Dear XM,

Just let me add the SEC and Big 12 schools that don't broadcast on Sirius in the fall, and I'll be good.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dear dargan:

All the SEC schools have moved to XM for this year.

12. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Dear XM: Let me get the NFL from Sirius, keep Opie and Anthony on the air and I'm good. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted