1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBI arrests "several NCAA assistant basketball coaches"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 26, 2017.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The ACC began to die when it took in NCAA reprobates Va Tech and Miami into the fold. It prostituted itself when it took University-6. Without any discussion from other members by the way.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And then the ACC became the Big East when it approved the fuck buddy relationship with Notre Dame.

heyabbott likes this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Interesting timeline. What was the enrollment in UNC-CH's AfAm program in the years immediately prior to Louisville's joining the ACC?

4. tapintoamerica

Immediately prior ? Very small. It had been cleaned up by then. The point is valid, however.

I will say that if you look at the whole history of things, UNC 's record is better than most. And I'm no apologist for the Heels.

Only six weeks after they were put on probation for having hookers in the dorms, they offering $150K for a player. Reprobates.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The ACC is as whorish re: athletics as any of ‘em. That they welcomed the whore from that neighborhood doesn’t strike me as all that scandalous.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

To illustrate the, shall we say, variety of approaches in the conference: Two basketball players for my beloved Wahoos graduated with master's degrees this past weekend*. Duke, another esteemed academic institution, had one player graduate with a bachelor's.

*Full disclosure: One of them was a graduate transfer.

7. tapintoamerica

Here's how you know taking University-6 was different: When they took in FSU, they lauded the school's high-tech physics facilities. They had similarly nice academic things to say about other new members. But when they took University-6, they admitted, "This is an athletics move." Right up front. No attempt to justify on academic grounds in the opening quote of the press release. (No, I can't find the link now.)
    University-6 is in a league of its own. Here are the appropriate US News rankings of other members: 8, 18, 25, 27, 30, 32, 34, 46, 52, 64, 65, 70, 72, 81. Then there is University-6 at 161. Closer to most of the SEC than its alleged brethren, one of whose athletes it physically endangered by accepting a playbook before a game.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's not going to be the FBI or the NCAA that cleans up shoe company involvement in "amateur" hoops. It's going to be that getting to the players young doesn't really pay off.

Projected No. 1 pick Ayton signs with Puma

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Arizona boosters are probably more concerned about the "ethics" of a 16-12 record at this point.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted