1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBI arrests "several NCAA assistant basketball coaches"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If the player is part of the recruitment,and agrees to it, that's one thing. But Person is an associate head coach, which gives him power over the player. If the player isn't agreeable to the steering, then Person, who is getting paid to deliver him, has the power to punish him. That's a potential problem.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Good for the players getting some of the money they are worth. Fuck the NCAA.

heyabbott and Baron Scicluna like this.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What's the crime, though? Why is the FBI involved? Is this all going to be about undeclared income?

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I have the same amount of faith that this creates a problem with NCAA schools the same way I believe that every time Trump trips over his dick, its going to finally go against him.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what to call two people making a financial deal to buy and sell control over another person without being too dramatic.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Schools want you to believe they are Harvard all week long. And they're the Golden State Warriors on game day (complete with a TV contract and licensing revenue). And then they turn back into Harvard right afterward.

This kind of prosecution just feeds into the nonsense of it all.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ragu, Harvard's hockey program would not bear close scrutiny itself. As I've posted before, the Alabamas and Ohio States of football and the Dukes and Kentucky's of basketball should thank their stars Harvard, Yale and Princeton don't think they need big-time sports, because with their resources, they'd dominate with ease. Instead of alums offering kids cars and cash, they'd be offering offshore investments and partnerships at Goldman Sachs.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Tell that to the guys when they drop the soap in the shower.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This is going to take a lot of people down. The feds don’t go in this hot and heavy without pre-arranged deals.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I don't know about pre-arranged deals, but federal conviction rates are insanely high. They don't typically bring charges on a flier.

Draft saved Draft deleted