1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC Week 7 thread: O, Rhett Bomar, what could have been

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Oct 11, 2010.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Not as good as Valdosta State leading North Alabama 5-0 late in the 4th. The thrilling action is on CSS.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Gill may get a freepass this year, but it will be nutcutting time next year.

You getting dumptrucked like this in your own yard against the bums from 2 hours away......that doesnt sit well.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Doesn't appear that Kansas recruited their future very well during the Reesing/Meier/Briscoe era. And why is Toben Opurum being converted to a linebacker? He had some strong carries as a freshman running back.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

yeah but it was Casey Dick handing off to McFadden and Jones.

the offense has been disappointing, but am i the only one who found it odd that they had such a supposedly great receiving corps yet none were on the 1st or 2nd team preseason SEC team? I like Mallett, but like Scotty Farrell said, he simply choked vs Bama. and that's why they lost.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Opurum was basically fourth on the depth chart at running back, and the Jayhawks were absolutely decimated by injuries at linebacker well before the season began, so they moved Opurum to linebacker in an effort to fill a need/get him on the field somehow.

KU is awfully young. Freshman quarterback, freshman running backs, three of the top four wideouts are freshmen or sophomores, etc. One notable change in recruiting strategy from Mangino to Gill -- one I really like -- is Gill's emphasis on both lines. He's gone all-in on offensive and defensive linemen like crazy, because Mangino never really bothered to build depth there. Good long-term move.

Just win eight games, on average, and make a bowl game. If Gill does that, he's fine. Won't be starting that trend this season, though, for sure.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Apparently, it ended up 5-0. WTF is Terry Bowden doing down there to get shut out? And isn't Delta next week? Yeesh.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I watched the last eight minutes. North Alabama's QB threw two picks in the final 5, both inside the Valdosta 30. That's a big factor right there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

101 yards of offense from the No. 3 team in Division II.
    First time they were shutout since 2001.
    Six first downs.
    Four turnovers.

Nice.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Still better than the "offense" from the Carolina Panthers ... not that this is difficult to do these days ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Of course I don't really think he'd get fired this year, but a guy's gotta be running pretty low on buffer room, even after one season, when he loses loses five, six or seven Big 12 games by 50+ points, including those against all the rivals. Maybe they can stay in games against Iowa State and Colorado, but that's a big maybe. They could lose those two by 50, as well.

If the team stays at "horrible" this year, I don't know if a slight improvement to "pretty bad" next year will be enough to get him through that season.

KU couldn't stop a wide receiver bubble screen if the opposing offense mailed them the exact date and time of the play a month before the start of the season.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Weird fact: Virginia Tech has been in the ACC since 2004. Saturday will be the first time Wake Forest visits Lane Stadium since the Hokies joined the league.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think that on defense, KU has regressed to a Colorado level of athleticism (the soon-to-be Pac-12 should be drooling). And Georgia Tech should be kicking itself in the balls that it lost to KU. That may now be a bigger shock than Va. Tech's loss to James Madison.

Draft saved Draft deleted