1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC Week 5 thread: Paul Hornung? You bet!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Sep 27, 2010.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I didn't see anything in that column that you could dispute. Pretty solid analysis.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm not disputing anything. Just pointing out that he compared Hawaii, UVA, Minnesota and Washington State to an almost SEC-like schedule.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I took it as a reference to the Sisters of the Poor that populate SEC powers' nonconference schedules.

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I don't know what to say:

"When I look at it closely, we just as easily could be 4-0 at this point as 1-3," Brewster said. "In the three losses, we, as much as the opponent, determined the outcome. We had opportunities in each of the losses to win the game."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/103974133.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUjc8LDyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always read contract extensions as an agreement that the coach won't interview elsewhere until the NEXT season.

And I don't know about the SEC comparison - to have an SEC-like preseason you need to play at least one FCS opponent in November and play all your non-cons at home.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The WAC has suspended Boise State's Winston Venable for his headhunting against Oregon State last week. Had one helmet-to-helmet shot on James Rodgers (who did not have the ball) that wasn't penalized, and knocked Rodgers out of the game with a concussion, and then was penalized for an attempted spear of a sliding QB, that just missed.

WAC suspended him for a game. Boise appealed, he'll now miss a half, a pretty light penalty for two spears. Boise plays New Mexico State this week, so he won't be missed at all.

I did not realize that league commissioners must now review all helmet-to-helmet contact, even those not penalized apparently, to see if further disciplinary action is needed. This is a good idea. So might be going back to leather helmets, to stop the blatant headhunting.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That was a solid column with a key point about the Pac-10. They not only schedule tough nonconference opponents, but have to play everyone in the conference.

There's a reason the Pac-10 champ hasn't been unbeaten since 2005: other than Washington State, there's no softies in the league. And everyone plays all nine opponents -- at least for now. We'll have a Big 12 situation -- where North Division teams benefit by missing Texas and/or Oklahoma -- once the league splits into two divisions.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Okie State just turned it over for the third time, and A&M doesn't look much better.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Fanhouse's Clay Travis has an interesting piece on Tyrone Prothro, the former Alabama star who broke his leg so gruesomely against Florida five years ago. Prothro now works as a bank teller right across the street from the Alabama football complex:

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/09/30/five-years-later-ex-alabama-star-tyrone-prothro-is-cashing-chec/?a_dgi=aolshare_twitter

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Your check is in the mail.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm impressed. That might be the first on-the-record interview Prothro has given without an SID or university relations flak in attendance since the injury.

12. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

A&M has fallen apart.

Draft saved Draft deleted