1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC week 4 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 15, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A certain woman of sj is looking forward to it from the other side of the ledger.

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

Y'all are right. OU doesn't go undefeated, although it should. Georgia won't go undefeated, despite the most talent in the country. LSU ain't going undefeated, either.

You might as well go ahead and pencil in USC. The Pac-10 is horrific. I think LSU and UGA end up as fierce two-loss teams who deal violence to a poor bowl victim. LSU loses this week and at Florida, UGA loses at LSU and at Auburn.

However, that theory looks quite questionable considering Auburn's performance so far. Before the season, I thought Auburn's losses would be at WVa and at Bama. The Tide can't lose again, can it?

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm not seeing Auburn beating both LSU and Georgia.

And with your metric, who makes the SEC championship game? You're saying Georgia beats Florida, so unless the Gators win their other seven conference games, Georgia wins the East in a tiebreak.

I guess if Auburn beats LSU, it has an inside track to the SECCG. But if both teams go in with two losses, someone's coming out with three.

And who makes the championship game opposite USC?

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

I understand your questioning. Auburn hasn't looked capable of beating both LSU and Georgia, even though both play on the Plains.

Originally, I thought UGA and USC would play in the title, with UGA winning. But the more I thought about UGA's four-game stretch --- at LSU, neutral vs. Florida, at Kentucky, at Auburn --- I just didn't think they could get through, especially with Trinton Sturdivant's injury.

With that nightmare schedule in mind, I changed my preseason pick to USC over a one-loss, SEC-championship Florida team. (Florida would beat Auburn in the SEC title.)

Of course, Florida has its fair share of injuries. LSU doesn't have a QB. Auburn's offense has shown nothing. Georgia's schedule plus the Sturdivant and Owens injuries are killers. May not have an SEC team with less than two losses.

I'm sticking with USC over Florida, though.

5. dooley_womack1

Don't see why Oklahoma can't run the table. The Sooners and USC are about the only ones who reasonably could.

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

Definitely. OU should. But how many times since the Sooners' last title have we all thought that?

7. dooley_womack1

Not saying the Sooners will. But one can't blithely discount it, which somebody on this thread did.

On another subject, Buffalo's big passing day vs. Temple has this Mizzou fan a bit uneasy.

8. dooley_womack1

Actually, I think Kansas has the best regular-season shot of beating the Sooners.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Ditto with USC.

10. dargan

dargan Active Member

Oklahoma always loses a game you just can't believe the Sooners lose. USC has almost joined that group after the past two seasons. Difference is USC has Pete Carroll and OU has Bob Stoops.

I really think Missouri's only regular-season loss is at Texas, and it's simply because of location. I also think Mizzou has a better chance of beating OU this season than they did last year.

How fun would a Missouri vs. Florida national title be?

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

In addition, there's been a desperate shortage of power towels in Manhatten lately.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Hell, home field hasn't been much of an advantage in the Georgia-Auburn series.

Draft saved Draft deleted