1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC Week 15: Championship Week (and the Big East and Sun Belt play)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Friend of mine calls them "hammock Marines," not because they lounged around, but because they were suspended between the two wars.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And if you're in the top 3 of the BCS rankings you're also in. So Texas is going to a BCS bowl regardless of what happens with Oklahoma-Mizzou.
    So right now the BCS looks like this:
    SEC: Florida/Bama
    Big 12: Oklahoma/Mizzou
    Pac-10: USC
    Big Ten: Penn State
    Big East: Cincinnati
    ACC: Boston College/Va. Tech
    At large: Texas and Utah
    So, assuming Oklahoma beats Missouri, that leaves Ohio State, Texas Tech, Boise State, the Florida-Bama loser for two spots. That about right?

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

But isn't the Big East champ always guaranteed a spot?

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yes, but finishing in the top 16 and ahead of a BCS conference champions makes you eligible for a BCS berth if you are a non-BCS school.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Looks right. And one of those spots will go to Florida-Bama loser. So one spot for Ohio State, Texas Tech, Boise State. That one ain't hard to figure out.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm pretty sure a conference can only place two schools in the BCS, so Texas Tech is probably not an option.

7. JackReacher

Solid point. So it'll come down to Ohio State and Boise State?

If Mizzou wins, Oklahoma's out of the BCS, right?

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'd imagine it'd be Texas and Mizzou in that extremely unlikely event.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's a quirky rule where the Big 12 could get three. It's unlikely, but possible. If Mizzou beats Oklahoma, it gets the automatic bid; Texas would then jump to No. 2 and go to the championship game; and if Oklahoma only drops to No. 3, it's guaranteed a spot. An Oklahoma loss should drop it lower than No. 3, but who the hell knows anymore?

10. JackReacher

Ohhh. how sweet that would be.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Are you in essence saying Texas will stay No. 3 no matter what happens? Because I'm not sure you can make that assumption. If Florida wins and passes Texas and Oklahoma wins and stays ahead of Texas and Alabama doesn't fall past No. 3, wouldn't Texas drop to fourth? It is possible, isn't it? We're not just talking about polls here. The computers would have their say.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't think about that. But I will say, whoever drops Texas lower than third better never come near Austin again. Plus, Alabama's SOS has got to be getting worse by the week as LSU, Tennessee, Georgia and Clemson continued to tank. Their best win right now is Ole Miss. If they had a loss already, I doubt they'd be ahead of Oklahoma, Texas or Florida. I can't see them ranked over Texas if they lose.

Draft saved Draft deleted