1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC week 13 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 16, 2008.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Yes.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2007-12-26-miles-recruit-son_N.htm

2. Well, that would make me old, then.

3. Helping UF's argument is that Ole Miss is putting together a decent season. They just beat LSU and are 7-4. They've won four straight. If they beat MSU, that'll make them 8-4 and heading to a bowl. Not too shabby.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Interesting story, that.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Among other reasons, yes.
    Miles and McCartney were at Michigan together, IIRC

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

For the most part, I agree. The original comment was made, in part, because you said Florida has the best team in the country -- too much speed. But there have been seasons where USC should have been the best team in the country -- too much speed -- but didn't have the resume at the end of the season to prove it. Not only that, but it's funny to see so many people claim the Gators are the best team in the country when there's this other SEC team that beat Ole Miss at home, that has run the table to date.

Florida is no different than Oklahoma, Texas, USC or Penn State -- a talented team that lost a game along the way. In fact, of those teams, I would say the Gators have more in common with Penn State than the others in that group, having lost to a four-loss team but otherwise making it through a fair schedule. Your Ole Miss-Florida argument could be flipped into a Penn State-Iowa or USC-Oregon State argument just the same, though both those teams lost to better opponents on the road.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Aunese, or Fen's age? ;)

(Don't feel bad, F_B. I actually remembered the kid's name, and I just hit 40 last month, so that doesn't automatically make you old ...)

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Four teams ranked above the Beavers, but not in the top 10, lost, so they dropped and Oregon State, which was 21st, was moved up accordingly. Standard operating procedure this late in the year.

And a victory at Arizona, this year, is a solid one. After four years of getting his brains beaten in, Stoops is finally figuring out that the Pac-10 isn't as easy as he thought it was when he worked in the Big 12 and is finally putting together a decent staff.

And Ragu, Pac-10 just clarified the tie-breaking procedue: USC and OSU tie, OSU goes because of head-to-head. If Oregon (vs. OSU) and UCLA (vs. USC) both win and there's a three-way tie at 7-2 among USC, OSU and UO, the Beavers still go.

Head-to-head wouldn't eliminate anyone. So, Oregon is eliminated because it lost to fourth-place Cal, which USC and Oregon State defeated. USC and OSU both defeated fifth-place Arizona, but OSU defeated sixth-place UCLA, which would then eliminate USC.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really hope Oregon State doesn't have to depend on Neuheisel.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Exactly... you've come this far, don't screw the pooch

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No. Please, please screw the pooch.

Draft saved Draft deleted