1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC Week 12 thread: Before there was God, there was Chris Leak

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

It also means no one can duck Oregon, Stanford, USC, Arizona, etc. No chance the Pac-10 champ can do what KU did in 2007 -- turn a weak schedule that lacked Oklahoma, Texas and Texas Tech into an 11-0 start and a clear shot at the BCS championship game if it could've beaten Mizzou and Big 12 championship game.

2. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Huh, dream on. No way Tennessee plays in January. The Vols are headed for Detroit and Little Caesar's Bowl. Actually I had to look up what BBVA stands for thinking it's something like Birmingham Bank/Virginia Alliance or Bible Belt Veterans Allied bank. It's Spanish though.

3. kickoff-time

I do like the sound of this, though:

"Please welcome the Florida Gators to the Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl"

4. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Birmingham gets last pick of the bowl eligibles. If things go like I plan, UGAly loses to GT and the ONLY 6-6 teams are Tennessee and Kentucky. Geographically, Tennessee comes to Bham.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agreed, Oz. Another good example from this year: Michigan State. If the Spartans had bothered to show up in Iowa City and manage to win that game, they'd be staring at a BCS bid at worst and possibly a spot in the Big Enchilada Bowl.

And all of that would be for, arguably, one big win against a Wisconsin team that has improved a ton since Oct. 2, and a sweep of otherwise mediocre competition.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I agree with you for the most part, but to get into the national championship game KU would have had to have finished the year with back-to-back wins against Mizzou and Oklahoma. KU wouldn't have really been backing into the title game in that case. Now if you want to argue it backed into a BCS game, OK, but who really cares outside of Missouri fans?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually KU is a horrible example due to the fact its schedule was tough enough for them to lose and they would have likely faced the same outcome as Missouri did in the Big 12 title game.

The MSU example this year is a little better in that they don't face Ohio State, but again, it's a moot point because they got their ass kicked in Iowa City.

As long as you have a conference championship game it doesn't matter if you play a full round-robin or not because eventually you're going to have to face the other top team in your league to win it.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That's true for the NC game. But not playing a complete round-robin often enables a team get a conferecne's second BCS bid and KU ius a prime example of that. Had the Jayhawks played even two of three against OU. TT and UT that year, for example, they have two losses and no way get that BCS bid.

Maybe Mizzou gets it, I have no idea who they skipped that year.

I do know this: the USC Trojans were overall the best team in America from 2006-08. And every single Pac-10 team played them, every single year.

9. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Florida would like a word.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If UGA loses again, the SEC won't have enough teams to send someone to Birmingham.

11. kickoff-time

SEC already has eight bowl-eligible teams. If Tennessee beats Kentucky and Vandy it would be No. 9. I believe the Rebels are also alive.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You have to account for losing a second team to the BCS.

Draft saved Draft deleted