1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC 2008 Week 1 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azom

azom Member

And now Wyoming will be starting the juco sophomore transfer at QB instead of the incumbent two-year starter. Because he hands off better, so say the UW coaches.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Then some of them should try and recruit major D1 talent into metropolitan Laramie.

I've been to Wyoming. That any coach can sell players to play there is one of the great wonders of the world. It works fine for the natives who are used to it and such. But the state isn't exactly chock full of all-MWC performers, so the ability to pull in out-of-state talent there is as critical as anywhere.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Correct. But it will be full on Friday for the Big Day Prep Showdown.

Four games in one night to open the season.

Game 1 at 11 AM

South Lyon v. Walled Lake Central

Muskegon v. Detroit King

Rockford v. Lake Orion

Ann Arbor Pioneer v. Saline

I think all of those teams made the playoffs last year except Saline, who got bounced the last week by South Lyon. And I know Muskegon, Rockford, King and some others have great teams.

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Actually, Syracuse is a private school but your point is made. Hoops practice starts Oct. 10, or thereabouts.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Well I'll be damned. So what constitutes the largest public U in New York? Buffalo? CUNY?

6. No surprise here. Daryll Clark named the starting QB at Penn State.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3554220

Of course, isn't it great that Paterno cites Clark's experience...which has in two years been mop up duty, a few snaps against Michigan in 2006 before getting knocked out of the game and a few QB draws in the Alamo Bowl.

Still, assuming he doesn't turn the ball over at an alarming rate, he should do a good job leading that Penn State offense, which returns its experienced offensive line, three receivers who have seemingly been around as long as Paterno and a pair of RBs who I, in my ever so humble opinion, believe are better than the top two on the depth chart at this time last season.

The bright side of the decision for Pat Devlin is that he is now the most popular man in State College...a title that always falls on a young, seemingly full of potential, underclassman quarterback. It's a prestigious group that has included the likes of Matt Knizer, Tom Bill, Wally Richardson, Rashard Casey, Zack Mills, Michael Robinson, Anthony Morelli and even the new starter, Daryll Clark. All apologies if I've forgotten anyone.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Does metro Laramie include Tie Siding, Virginia Dale, Fox Park, Albany and Centennial? ;D

Not necessarily disagreeing. But Paul Roach and Joe Tiller each had some outstanding teams there facing the same set of circumstances, and SOME fans are wondering if Glenn, while very personable and very successful at I-AA and D-II, sometimes isn't more hat than cattle.

Facilities aren't an issue any more, with the money from the energy boom Wyoming has invested millions in athletics and on the academic side of campus.

Big year for Glenn, for sure. Seven home games.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think Temple is going to win the MAC. I said they COULD win the MAC. The MAC East looks a total crap shoot to me. I'd put Miami at the top, personally, but Buffalo (I can't believe I am saying this one either) actually looks decent, Bowling Green is pretty good and even Kent State is on the cusp of a winning season. Between those teams and Temple, I don't know how anyone can pick the conference.

Temple was still ascending last year and they did beat Miami, so them being able to hang with any team this year is a good bet -- not with what is going to be what I think will be the strongest defense in the conference (stronger than Miami, even). Bowling Green looks pretty good, but their offensive line won't be as good as last year and they have the toughest schedule in the conference. Games against Pitt, Minnesota, Boise State & Wyoming could take something out of them.

EDIT: Since I mentioned them in Bowling Green's nonconference games, Pitt is a team I am watching really closely this year. On paper, they should have been great the last two years. And people are conditioned for them to not put it together. And I know Wannstedt, etc. But I have a gut feeling this team is going to be a player this year. The Big East is changing. South Florida has to be the favorite. Everyone will be high on West Virginia, but I am just not feeling it. Cincy will take a step down. Rutgers already peaked and they won't have Ray Rice (although they are recruiting some serious Florida players). Louisville is interesting. Hard to figure out if they will be decent or not. I can see Pitt taking a run through their schedule. They may be the most talented team in the Big East--up there with West Virginia. I will be really interested to see if they make a run now that everyone has essentially finally given up on them.

EDIT 2: Oh, and Syracuse is going to be horrible. I didn't think they could get worse. But they are going to be even worse than they were last year. I will bank on that one. I can't believe that program has fallen so low.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

AP voters gave up on Pitt so much they put them in the Top 25. Me, I still have visions of Navy carving up that defense like it was butter sculpture.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Big news in Virginia - Tyrod Taylor taking a redshirt.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-08-26-0183.html

Sean Glennon today was named the starting quarterback for Virginia Tech, which will redshirt sophomore Tyrod Taylor.

Hokies head coach Frank Beamer said that the decision was made on Saturday and the two quarterbacks were told on Sunday. Beamer said Taylor was receptive to the plan.

Cory Holt will serve as Virginia Tech's backup quarterback and has been getting second-team reps. However, should Glennon suffer a major injury early in the season, Taylor will be the guy.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Rutgers still needs to worry about its backyard -- lost a top-shelf LB recruit (forgot his name, but supposed to be one of the best in the nation) to Michigan. But, the Florida players will help build a pipeline.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And me, I remember Pitt winning at West Virginia, despite the refs trying to hand the Mountaineers the game. The Panthers will be a better team, Wannstedt's recruiting classes will start to show now. The big problem will be that offensive line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.