1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FB posts costs prep team three wins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I can't speak for Perry County, it's on the other end of the state, but our county has no zoning. Buses only run to certain schools, but if you live in one part of the county and want to go to a school in another part, as long as you've got your own transportation, that's fine. Now you can't bounce around, transferring, etc., and be eligible for athletics, but as far was simply going to school there aren't a whole lot of restrictions. Some of our schools have students from neighboring counties (athletes/non athletes alike) and one has a handful each year from out of state. Those have to be green lit by the principal and they'll run them off if the student is a discipline problem, but they are generally accepted with issue.

As for the TSSAA, I have to say that since Bernard Childress took over as director, it's been a lot better organization in terms of discipline, illegal players, etc. He has brought the hammer down on more people in his year and half than Ronnie Carter did his entire career. Childress is doing a really good job.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This mom in Ohio went to jail for falsifying her address.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/27/us/jailed-for-switching-her-daughters-school-district.html

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

And don't forget the cheerleaders and the band kids (yeah, I've had a few of those calls too) ...

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Who's to blame for the loss of your scholarship? With statements like that, it's pretty obvious you didn't get much of an education.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

My middle stepdaughter was caught in a boundary change near the start of high school. However, they grandfathered it in and the changes only affected the younger grades. They let the kids who had been going to school together for years continue to go to high school together and to graduate.

This left my daughter (the youngest) all of a sudden going to a school the fed into a different high school than the one her sister went to, which she did not like, since she thought her sister and her school were the best things ever. They gave me permission for my daughter to continue to go to the old feeder system for as long as she wanted (all the way through high school if she chose) but there was no bus transportation provided: I had to drive her.

That lasted about 4 years. Once she got ready to think about going to high school, she wanted to go to the same place as the kids that lived around her. I switched her over to the schools we were district-ed to go to.

Worked out well for her. She got to support her sister's high school (that she loved) then had about two years to switch loyalties over to "her" high school before she started (which she also loved.)

My point is, I can't believe they made you switch schools as a senior and did not grandfather in the higher grades.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

This. Around here several high schools have opened in the past few years and they've had practically no seniors because they're allowed to graduate from the high school they've been going to. I was surprised last year when Blue Valley Southwest came down for a soccer match and they actually had a senior or two. Sometime before that, the main team I cover played a new school from Rogers, Ark., that had no seniors at all. Not just on the team — in the building. Every single senior decided to stay at the old high school.

7. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

How can somebody be jailed for sending their kid to a different, better PUBLIC school? Whatever happened to those schools being open to the PUBLIC

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Third paragraph is something.

Offensive linemen Rodney and Ryan Belasic were declared ineligible by the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association because their entire family does not live in Perry County.

The entire family has to live in the same county?

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

She wasn't jailed for sending the kids to a better public school. She was jailed for submitting false statements that led to her being allowed to send her kids to another school.

The governor reduced the charge to misdemeanors so she could still get a teaching license.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I mentioned it up in the journalism topic, but the California Interscholastic Federation even has a page on its website devoted to transfer rules, and they're vigilant about it.

It's generally more of a problem in larger cities, where everyone knows the religious schools are recruting [/bluefont] to kids wanting to play with an AAU or travel coach ... but the one here most recently was a doozy. Kid got a scholie to a D-1 school, but hadn't taken a foreign language, as required by the school. Parents transfer her from BigCity High to Podunk West, about 100 miles away from home, where she lives with a travel ball coach, and takes a sign language class. Parents then put in for a hardship transfer (which is the Golden Ticket from the CIF in non-family moves), is rejected by the Section and again on appeal. So, they go to court (Yeehaw! It's a matter of public record ... let me at those juicy details!), get a TRO allowing her to play, but its not made permanent, school forfeits all its games (but is allowed into playoffs) and player in question is reduced from slugger to batgirl the rest of the year.

Parents meant well here, as all do. But they also did a moonwalk Michael Jackson would have been proud of around eligibility rules.

11. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Moonwalk? Sounds more like a Ty Cobb-quality spiking (complete with sharpened spikes) ... :)

Draft saved Draft deleted