1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fax machines ... what's the point?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jay_christley, Sep 23, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Did the section editor print them out?

Hey, printing out faxes ... now that's a neat trick. :D

2. 2muchcoffeeman

Oh hell yes. Roundups from faxes always finish quicker than those from calls.

Nah ... that's what a fax modem is for. Do the form on the computer in Quark or whatever during your regular work shift, then tell the computer to send it out over the fax modem to a dozen coaches at 4 in the morning when nobody's at the office (including you --- you're at home postpadding on SportsJournalists.com in your nice comfy bed, sleeping like all the other sane people).

My coaches always wanted to know why I was up that late sending faxes. :D

3. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

I'd rather get it via email and be able to use the cut-and-paste function rather than waste a forest full of paper.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

Coaches ... conquer e-mail?

MUAH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One of our stringers refuses to use a computer to file. He writes out his stories LONGHAND and faxes it to us. No lie.

If I'm in a good mood, I'll keyboard it in — but only after I comb the rosters for correct spellings.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

If this were my call (and it would be in my shop), your story would be referencing "one of our FORMER stringers".

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted