1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favre's sanity officially has jumped the shark.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, Nov 27, 2006.

1. KP

KP Active Member

Unfortunately they didn't have a pic of him bitching out his receivers or an official.

[​IMG]

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

football is always better with at least a foot of snow on the ground. It's one reason why the Grey Cup almost always trumps the Super Bowl. The elements add a whole new dimension to the game.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There was a play in the second half last night when the Packers ran a draw, nutlessly, on third-and-goal inside the Seahawks 20. Gain of 1 or 2 yards, send in the kicker.

The old Favre-led Packers would never have done this.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Better yet was Theisman arguing that the play call made sense. I could almost see inside his head. He was making the ridiculous argument and vehemently, backing it up when Kornheiser essentially asked, "Are you nuts?" But he knew it was a bad decision.

Oh, and BYH, that was a major reason why I hated Marino as a player. I couldn't put my finger on it exactly, but I just KNEW he was a dick. He actually seems like a much nicer guy post-retirement than he ever did during his playing days.

5. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

Favre didn't call the play, Lee. I get what you are saying – the coach would have more confidence in the old (or young) Favre – but it's not true. I thought it was a smart play. The Packers were driving most of the game. McCarthy and Jags had to figure they'd be back in the Red Zone soon. Take the points on the road, especially with a D that forces four first-half turnovers.

If McCarhy would have known a collapse was coming, maybe he would have gone for it on third and fourth down. No way of predicting that second half.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I hope someone got a good picture last night of Favre standing about five feet away from the referee, just glaring at him as yet another penalty was being called against Green Bay. For a second I actually thought Favre was gonna go after him.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I understand what you're saying. I don't like the call. Matter of opinion.

Favre (and the '90s Packers) didn't build a reputation by settling for field goals in the third quarter of tight games. And Green Bay had already had a field goal inside 30 yards blocked.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

He never blamed anyone but himself for losses.

No one else.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

When did he do that?

He was the height of class.

Even his one blowup, after a daytime home loss to the Colts in his final season, wasn't big-timing anyone.

It was an emotional "how do you think it feels" blurt.

BTW, I have no problem when a player does say you never played the game.

It is an integral element in the palette of life experience that a reporter does not have in covering a beat.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

So what gives a player the expertise to say anything about the writing? He never "wrote" the game. He doesn't have that "palette of life experience."

Experiencing something -- and writing about it -- are two different things. You can't get the experience by reading about it, so if a writer does have experience he can't pass it on anyway. Which means it's irrelevant to the writing.

A player is there to do the playing. A writer is there to do the writing -- two different jobs, two different experiences.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I player can certainly read.

I can only imagine the stupidity players have to endure in columns day in and day out in our profession.

I mean, when writers say a player has no heart.... and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Asshats.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

It was definitely the Jimmy Johnson era, one of the last two years. I vividly remember watching the press conference lowlights on SportsCenter.

And sorry but I have a huge problem when a player pulls the "never played the game" bullshit. It's just another way of saying I'm better than you and you can't possibly understand what I go thru. I'll love it when someone retorts "And you've never filed on deadline so just answer the fucking question."

Draft saved Draft deleted