1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favre - stay or go?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Packers are shut out by the Bears. These teams are known for having a storied rivalry.

How does Favre not think seriously about his career after this listless effort.

I'll start the bidding with a hearty .... GO!

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Favre has actually been gone for a couple years now. They just forgot to tell him.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Full disclosure: I am a Packers fan. However, I am also on the record as having them at 4-12 this season. I know they will suck out loud and seek no refuge in excuses for either their suckitude or for Brett Favre's diminshed effectiveness.

Having said that, please apply the following sentence to any NFL-related thread that hits the jump-to-conclusions mat like Bob Beamon on speed ...

IT'S FUCKING WEEK 1 PEOPLE!

And by the way, Favre has been thinking about his career for years now, Sunday's dogshit effort ain't changing that.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Sorry, Brett played like crapola last year, too. Jury's in. Favre is out.

5. Bubbler

Uh, Joe, what did I say? Favre's effectiveness is diminished. Has been for at least two years.

It's not Favre-bashing that irks me, it's the ESPN-ized jump-to-conclusions mode some seem to embrace about a miniscule portion of a season.

It's Week 1, there's very few conclusions that can be drawn from opening weekend. One week in the NFL is the equivalent of eight baseball games. Talk to me about trends in Week 3 or 4. Of course no one wants to hear that because hype and bullshit sells.

I will throw Favre this bone ... his pair of interceptions both occured when the Packers were already down 26-0, but that didn't stop the sub-morons on ESPN radio from saying this his interception-prone ways cost the Packers again. Dopes. Not saying Favre played well, mind you, by all accounts it was far from it, but at least criticize him accurately.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry Bubbs, but when a team is as bad as the Packers were last year--and when they didn't do much aside from fire coach Dead Man Walking and bring back an aging HOF-bound QB who is a shell of his former self--a 26-0 loss in week one is indeed cause for wondering just how awful they're going to be this year.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, they're going to be awful. And Favre is going to be, at best, mediocre (both because of his diminished skills and a weak-ass team.) I predicted 4-12, as well.

But Favre threw a great many of his 29 interceptions last year after the Packers were already behind in the second half, when they were on their 76th-string running back (a white boy from Northwestern), and they had no chance other than to let the old man wing it and see what happened.

That's where his two picks came from today. That's where a lot of them will come from this year.

Favre's not what he was (we can all agree on that), and he doesn't have anybody to help him. And the defense is beyond terrible. Let him play out the string, and leave it at that.

And please dear Cheesehead in the Sky, do not let A. Rodgers be starting on 12/10 at Candlestick because I have already bought tickets. [/looser fanboy alert]

8. Bubbler

But see, I KNOW they're going to be awful. Everyone with half a brain knew they were going to be awful from day one.

So why would this performance alter Favre's philosophy on his career? THAT's where the Week 1 jump to conclusions comes into play.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

At the half, Favre was 5 for 5 and the Packers trailed, 16-0. Favre was hardly the problem. In the first half, GB was 0 for 5 on third downs. Two were no-gain rushes on 3rd and 1. One was a 10-yard completion on 3rd and 16. One was a sack when Favre was tripped by his center pulling out from the snap. Another was a 13-yard completion on 3rd and 17. Favre was hardly the problem.

For the game, Green Bay was 1 for 11 on third downs. In the second half, they faced six third downs, with the following yardage needed: 10, 9, 13, 26, 5 and 5. The Packers couldn't run the ball when it counted. Green got 110 yards, but had just 39 in the first half when the game was still a game. He had 48 in the fourth quarter when the game was pretty much over, running from spread formations where the Bears were expecting pass. Those padded the rushing stats but didn't really help the Packers. And, as previously mentioned, both INTs came in the fourth quarter when they were down 26-0.

Favre was hardly the problem.

But don't let the facts get in the way.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think it's fair to ask if this L will change Favre's philosophy. He's already on record as saying he could see himself finishing his career in another uniform. Maybe an 0-4 start (or however many games there are before the trading deadline) allows he and the Packers to craft an acceptable exit strategy.

Personally, I think Favre is toast regardless of where he plays. And if he stays in Green Bay, it's going to be embarrassing to see his streak of consecutive streaks end not by necessity but by the Packers' choice.

11. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

Too late to go now, has to suck up the whole season.

What a perfect guy who should have left while on top. I wonder if this tends to happens more to pro athletes who do not develop other skills/talents while playing.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If he broke Marino's record tomorrow, he would retire by Wednesday.

Draft saved Draft deleted