1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favre Finally Inactive

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I agree it will be up to Favre.

I think he'll miss it and make ammends sooner rather than later.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He was run off in Green Bay. They were tired of his shit.

He is widely blamed/credited with getting Mangini fired in New York. They also wanted no part of his shit.

If Childress doesn't beg Favre to come back this season, he probably still has a job. There would be no Moss debacle and the Vikings couldn't be much worse than they were with Favre. With no expectations, Childress might have survived a 5-11 or 6-10 season, especially with it coming just a year after signing an extension.

Is he being run off in Minnesota? I seriously doubt anyone will be begging him to come back next season. I think that has as much to do with the distractions he brought this season as it does with his injuries.

3. Mizzougrad96

I don't think the fences get mended by Favre and Thompson anytime soon, but I think if the next 3-4 years go by and nothing is said, somebody will step in and they'll make sure his jersey is retired before he goes into Canton.

I don't think Thompson or McCarthy would ever try to prevent that even though I don't think either of them thinks too highly of Favre the person. Will they still be there? That would mean nine years in the same job for Thompson and eight for McCarthy and that's a lot by NFL standards, not that either has done anything to merit being fired.

4. Machine Head

Green Bay had Rodgers. That's why he was expendable.

Great start in NY, then he was injured. Throwing arm. Jets knew. Season goes in the tank.

The Vikings have been playing more for wins on the field the last two years. If you blame Chilly being fired on Favre you haven't been paying attention to what has been going on in Minnesota this year or who they lost in the off season.

Why would Minnesota want him back next year? They don't. The window was set to close after this season for the Vikings to make a run at anything.

5. Mizzougrad96

Rodgers hadn't done shit when he took over. It was a huge risk and the Packers went 6-10. If Favre announces at the end of the 2007 season that he wanted to come back, they would have welcomed him back with open arms.

He started to pull his usual shit and they told him to fuck off.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Let's not forget, though, that Rodgers was not the reason they went 6-10.

7. Mizzougrad96

Very, very true.

8. Machine Head

We won't agree in any areas so I'll move on. I have a ton of snow to shovel after getting back in town.

The thing I wonder about Favre's career is what if he had been able to play for Homlgren longer? How would things have turned out?

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

HE. COULDN'T. GO. ALL. THE. WAY.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Atlanta didn't like his off-the-field act. Wholly understandable, at the time.

11. Mizzougrad96

Favre needed a hardass like Holmgren to push him. As soon as he was exposed to Rhodes and Sherman, Favre was ruined. He still had the talent to succeed on some level, but Sherman kissed his ass so much that he was never going to challenge Favre at the level where he needed to be to win another Super Bowl.

12. Machine Head

Another example of Dooley's Law: Common ground can be found.

I agree Favre needed a strong presence he respected in a HC, and after Holmgren that never happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted