1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favre asks Packers to release him

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Oh shit...I thought this was on Anything Goes.

Re: Favre. In last season's game at Dallas, Rodgers was clearly the better quarterback after Favre got hurt. He did nothing before getting hurt and Rodgers got the Packers back in the game.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What the Packers cannot afford -- Favre goes to Minnesota, kicks their ass in the season opener on MNF, and leads the Vikes to the division title. Just absolutely, 100% cannot happen.

That means they can't release Favre. If they release Favre, he could go to Minnesota.

It seems the Packers are ready for Aaron Rodgers. If so, they can't have Favre around. But they can't release him. And he's not retiring.

Therefore they have to trade him. And they can probably get a decent price.

Places they can trade Favre where it will do little damage to the Packers: Baltimore and Miami. Two soap-opera teams where the entire focus can be how Favre's ego fits in with the other look-at-mes. Tampa Bay is another possibility as Jon Gruden collects QBs like I used to collect comic books. But GB plays Tampa this year, although on the road. Atlanta would be another fine trade candidate. But the Falcons come to Lambeau. Packers brass shouldn't want that.

So, unless the Pack is willing to kiss and make up with Favre, they should trade him. Put Baltimore and Miami on speed dial, with Tampa as backup. Favre would never sign with the Dolphins if he were a free agent, but he could sure be made to look like an ass by trading him there. Play for a shitty team, Brett, since you want to play so bad but want to fuck over the Packers!

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

in all seriousness, P.O.: Then Rodgers got hurt. He's gotten hurt more in two relief appearances than Favre has in 976 straight starts.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Count your blessings.

In Wisconsin, they fuck them.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Only after they're dead.

Or if they're livestock.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I meant chicken patties.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Oh, I'm not saying Rodgers has Favre's "love of the foosball." I just don't think he's a huge bag of shit, as some do.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

This just in from AP.

Dallas has swapped Romo for Favre and five draft picks.

and gas dropped to an average $1.09 a gallon.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As shitty as Favre is he'd be the two best QBs in Chicago. He'll probably be open-the-ark-of-the-covenant bad but it'd be worth it to see him shove it up Green Bay's ass in Bears uniform.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I also disagree with TSP (damn blogger!!!): What makes Favre so attractive to another team? He's clearly a short-term solution. He hasn't spent the off-season working with the offense, so that means training camp is a crash course in EVERYTHING--the game plans, the chemistry, everything.

He threw for 4,155 yds and 28 TDs last year b/c of his familiarity with the offense and the weapons he had. Is he really going to be an upgrade in Baltimore, Miami, Chicago or Tampa, where the offenses scan the scale of suck? And none of those teams are a veteran QB away from contending for the Super Bowl (Tampa might have been the worst division winner ever last year...that team's got 3-13 written all over it this year).

Minnesota MIGHT be the closest thing to a ready-made contender...but their top returning WR is Bobby Wade and Bernard Berrian will prove, very soon, that he's as much of a no. 1 WR as Alvin Harper. And the Vikings can forget about Tavaris Jackson if they bring in Favre for a year or two. Like Rodgers, Jackson would be gone at the first opportunity. So the Vikes would be starting all over again, AGAIN, in 2010.

I just don't see the opportunity for Favre. Why should anyone NEW invest in the guy when they're just as likely to get the same production out of someone 15 years younger?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Favre QBing for the Packers and Edmonds ripping it up in CF for the Cubs. Can life get any better?

Draft saved Draft deleted