1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Type of Whiskey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Aug 30, 2012.

?

What's your favorite type of whiskey?

1. Bourbon

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Canadian

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Irish

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. Rye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Scotch

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Tennessee Whiskey

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jameson's is a good everyday drink. Am having one now.

As far as scotch goes I'm a Laphroaig fan if someone's buying it for me. Glenfiddich and Glenlivit are a little less peaty Johnny Walker Red is a good choice for a blended scotch.

I cannot drink rye aka Canadian whisky. It was probably all those years of drinking 'rye and ginger' as a teenager.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

American rye whiskey, which we call rye whiskey, is a bit different than Canadian rye whiskey, which non-Americans call rye whiskey or Canadian whiskey. I assume YankeeFan meant American rye.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

It starts and ends in Lynchburg.
    After that, you've got Maker's.
    For Irish, give me the Bush.
    Scotch, I like some Famous Grouse.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

This stuff is about as good as it gets:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. Meant American Rye.

My dad's a Canadian Whiskey guy. His drink is a VO Manhattan, on the rocks, light on the vermouth.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

When I drink whiskey, I almost exclusively go with either water or ice. If I'm going for a mixed drink, gin and tonic is my normal choice.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Had a drink at dinner tonight. It had Pig's Nose Scotch, Yellow Chartreuse, and Orange Bitters.

adastreetchicago.com/beverage_menu.pdf

8. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Having a Blantons and water right now. The fact that the new Wegmans 10 miles down the road sells it for a bargain $38 a bottle has made me more liberal in my consumption.

9. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

This is about right, but my order is bourbon, scotch, Irish whiskey.

My go-to bourbon has been Maker's since about 1999, but if I'm spending more then it's likely one of the three on your list. The double-oaked Woodford is damn good -- saw it and tried it for the first time about a month ago.

And Midleton's is just up there in a class of its own. My buddy brought me back a bottle from Ireland in 2003, and that's the only fifth I've ever made last anywhere close to a year.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I can't really think of a whisky I don't like, but here are my favorites:

1/Macallan 18. My celebratory drink of choice.
    2/Oban 14.
    3/Gentleman Jack. Almost *too* easy to drink (certainly easy to drink too much of it.)
    4/Caol Ila, when I'm in the mood to be challenged by my drink. Tastes like a delightful glass of smoke.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Went on a taster's tour in Lynchburg on Saturday... not much different than the regular tour, other than it goes in a couple places I hadn't been and in the end, they let you sample 1/3 shots of Jack, Gentleman and Single Barrel... Single Barrel is much creamier, GJ is smoother...

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I've found the single barrel to be quite enjoyable; so much so that drinking Old No. 7 now tastes like diet Coke compared to SB's Mexican Coke.

Draft saved Draft deleted