1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Trader Joe's items

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jun 12, 2018.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We split time between two cities, so we have experience with multiple TJs. The lines are often ridiculous, but in every one I have been to, they do a pretty efficient job of moving things along and getting people checked out. Sometimes people not familiar with the place see the line to check out snaking around the store and start to freak, and it's always like, "Don't worry. It really moves quickly!" And it does.

We bring backpacks with us when we shop (since we don't use the car, it's easier to carry a load on the back than with the arms). We always do the raffle ticket for bringing our own bag. We have never won. I used to joke that they don't actually do a drawing, but then someone I knew won the gift certificate.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Aldi of today is not the Aldi of 15 years ago, at least in our parts. We get about 80 percent of our groceries there while still getting fresh meat at the butcher's shop and produce at Kroger or Whole Foods. I'm guessing within the decade they will have closed the gap on produce, too.

I'm not ever getting my meat from any place but a butcher's shop, though.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

It costs 30% less than a Kroger or similar to shop there. You also shop much faster. You waste less time and the employees are paid a better age.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Yes, but are Aldi's off-brands good food? I'm asking about quality and taste.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Some yes and some no.

The thin crust frozen pizzas are amazing. Hummus is great. Eggs, milk, cheese, hot dogs, coffee, chips, salsa, and all the other stuff are good.

Pretty much everything is just as good if not better with the exception of cereal. My daughter does not like the cereal.

If you spend $150 on groceries each week, it's easily worth the $45 each week in savings.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I did buy some block cheese and summer sausage at Aldi's because the prices were so low.

But they both were dogshit. And I bought two of each, so they all got tossed. Pays not to skimp on cheese, I found out.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The produce is definitely hit or miss. We’ve had good luck with pineapples.

Usually depends on the day for other fresh fruit and veggies. Sometimes we’ll load up. Other times, we’ll get it elsewhere.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I got hummus for 29 cents per tub at Aldi this past weekend because its expiration date was two days away. I was pretty psyched.

My 20-year-old self wants to hit me really hard right now.

Vombatus likes this.
  9. freqposter

freqposter Active Member

The attractive moms.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This is actually a pretty good thread, I've made a list of things to try. Let's not derail it with horseshit please.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Hot moms are not horseshit. TJ, and Aldi is becoming this, has become a nice way for young 20-somethings to cross paths. Tinder Joe if you will.

Vombatus likes this.
  12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

TJ, Aldi or Lidl?

Draft saved Draft deleted