1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite stock quotes from prep football coaches

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by aztarheel, Aug 10, 2007.

1. "We've got to hold on to the football to give ourselves a chance to win."

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

"Damn, I miss segregation"

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

I have one coach in our area who said that during the spring and when fall practice started. I can't wait to talk to him for the preview story of his team's first game this season. I'll bet my paycheck, he'll say it again.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm going to Hell for laughing at that.

But I dealt with coaches and parents in SW Virginia last year who look like they'd been to a cross burning or nine.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

My favorite is those ubiquitous questionnaires we send out to coaches every year. Without fail, you'll get one that reads:

Weaknesses: Size, speed, depth and athleticism
    Strengths: Work ethic

And you just know that team is going 1-9.

6. "IBM closed at $112.64 last night."

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I've found that when white coaches use the word athleticism, it's usually used in reference to a black skill position player (most likely on the other team).

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

So, coach, how are you going to send in results this year? I have an email form all made up, all you have to do is fill in the blanks and click send.

"Oh, no, I don't do so good with the email, I'll call you"

*Do you mean like last year, when you said you'd call but "forgot" every time you lost, so I had to wake up your wife at home and she gave me the number for Skeeter's Off Sale and Possum Taxidermy where I finally reached you on your sixth can of Keystone and you told me your leading rusher was probably "That homo kid what plays in the band... Fuck, I don't know, I've got the sheet up at the school."*

OK, I'll look forward to your call. *Chicken fucker*

9. Funny stuff, Zeke.

Here's another good one.

"You either go forward or backward with a football program from one year to the next."

And another: We’ll be playing to the kids’ strengths and trying to hide their weaknesses.

10. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

"We're cautiously optimistic."

12. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

I love interviewing coaches from small schools the best.

"Well, we had pretty good numbers, but we lost one kid to academics; another moved away, and another knocked a girl up." (Dang, there goes 20 percent of the team. Boys will be boys.)

"We don't have great speed, but we have stamina." (This will be useful if they ever start playing football during a marathon.)

"We held our own at the 7-on-7s against several bigger schools." (We managed to find the place without getting lost.)

Draft saved Draft deleted