1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite sports movie(s)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ilmago, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You do realize that the ending, the idea that's going to save the farm, the field and the family, was hatched by a 9-year-old who just woke up from a near-death experience?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Many of my faves have been mentioned but I'll throw out an old-school one, "The Harder They Fall" with Bogart and Rod Steiger, great, great boxing movie.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's a movie about a guy building a baseball diamond in a corn field because ghosts told him to. You want realism?

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Speaking of sports movies that were totally unrealistic, yet enjoyable, what's the one with Elijah Wood turning into a badass soccer fan?

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Saw that about a month ago while flipping channels.

Agreed. It was a masterful performance.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

1. Rocky, because unlike about 99 percent of sports movies, the protagonist doesn't win.

2. Caddyshack. I can't help but laugh whenever I meet someone named Al ("Well, whaddya say AAAAlll???), Danny (What do you stand for Danny?), Ty (Ty? Frank?), Carl (Oh, hey Carl!), or see someone smoking on a golf course.

3. Hoosiers. I wanted to be Jimmy Chitwood.

4. Field of Dreams. Still cry at the end.

5. Slap Shot. Some of the greatest one-liners ever.

6. Necessary Roughness ("Wally, Wally, stand up Wally! People are watching! Not many, but they're watching!" Wally: "If this weren't freakin' AstroTurf, I'd dig a hole and bury myself!)

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I am shocked you didnt put Major League in there.

"we got one gawd-dam hit?"

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

"Chariots of Fire"
    "Eight Men Out"
    "Hoosiers"
    "Miracle"
    "A League of Their Own"

"Major League"
    "Caddyshack"
    "Slap Shot"

And I completely agree with JR. "Field of Dreams" was overrated.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Is The Big Lebowski considered in any way a sports movie?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Another pro wrestling one (yeah, I know): The Wrestler

Also, I haven't seen anyone mention Pride of the Yankees. Some scenes are rather cheesy and somewhat inaccurate historically, but I've always thought one underrated scene was when they have Gehrig end the streak. Gary Cooper is in the on-deck circle ready to bat, but not feeling good. As the previous batter strikes out, Cooper walks back to the dugout. He sees his wife, who smiles at him, and just gives her a sad look and walks right by her, as her smile disappears.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Likewise. But I've always felt the real star is Vin Scully ...

"Slap Shot" definitely tops my list, and a lot of those mentioned are right up there, so I'll throw in a couple no one's mentioned yet, "Bang the Drum Slowly" and "Mystery Alaska."

"Chariots of Fire" I have a lot of problems with, since they rearranged a lot of facts for drama's sake.

Draft saved Draft deleted