1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite sports movie(s)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ilmago, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Best college football movie, ever.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Bull Durham's probably my favorite, with Hoosiers and Slap Shot in the conversation.

Since it hasn't shown up yet, have to give a mention to Miracle.

And under long ago guilty pleasures, I submit Fast Break and The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Slap Shot tops my list.
    I liked Bull Durham, but there was another similar movie called Long Gone (William Peterson, Virginia Madsen) that was as good or better. I haven't been able to find it (not that I've tried too hard).
    Sandlot is high on my list, too.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Very, very few sports movies are as well-made, and address some of the issues of its time (anti-Semitism, the fallout from World War I, the classism that was English society), as "Chariots of Fire."

An outstanding movie.

And I love "The Natural," "Eight Men Out," and yes, "Field of Dreams."

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Never read the book, which is probably why I like the movie.

6. Yea, I don't know why I didn't think of the Rocky movies. Now, as a subcategory, the ranking of the Rocky's

Rocky 1
    Rocky 2
    Rocky Balboa (6)
    Rocky 4

. . . and if I had to rank the rest . . . only if I really, really, really had to

Rocky 3
    Rocky 5

1, 2 and 6 were just incredible movies.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

No votes for "MVP: Most Valuable Primate"?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I love Long Gone. It was one of the first made-for-HBO movies back in the '80s. One of my favorite fantasy baseball team names is the Tampico Stogies.

Of the two, I prefer Bull Durham. But I love them both.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Have no idea how anybody could dislike "Field of Dreams," JR. No idea. Is it one of the best sports movies? No. No way it's cringingly bad, tho.

Major League's always on my short list. So are most of the other mainstreamers: Slapshot, Tin Cup, Bull Durham, Bingo Long, Brian's Song, etc.

Some others that haven't been mentioned: Talent for the Game (Edward James Olmos as a big league scout that finds a country kid with a huge arm, and has a chance to resurrect his career), The Flying Scotsman (biopic of cyclist Graeme Obree), Million Dollar Baby, Fever Pitch (UK soccer version), Wimbledon and...

The Junction Boys. ;D

10. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Anyone see Jim Thorpe- All American that was made in 1951? Burt Lancaster portrayed Jim Thorpe, he did a fantastic job in my opinion. I thought it was a great movie.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

You know he's a grumpy sumbitch, right? :D

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thought about it, but it really doesn't stack up to "Air Bud: Golden Receiver" in the animal sports category.

Draft saved Draft deleted