1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite (song)writers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YGBFKM, Jul 5, 2011.

1. oxfordcrowe

oxfordcrowe Member

Hehehe, yeah "band." Was on deadline.

2. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I forgot Plant and Page. They wrote some of the greatest masterpieces of all time, including Kashmir and Stairway.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That album kicks all sorts of ass. One of my all-time fave live albums.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Three pages and no one has mentioned Eddie Vedder? Come on, people! :)

Also, I'm a big fan of Alexi Murdoch.

But is goes like this:

1) Dylan
    2) Lennon
    3) Carol King

5. Mira

Mira Member

When I listened to LaMontagne's recent album, I wondered if the show would be slow and tough to get into, oxford. But he did a nice job with mixing the set list with slow and faster songs; built intensity much better than I expected. I thought he was good live and was surprised at how good.

Wonder if you saw him during the early part of his tour?

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'll have to check out LaMontagne. I keep coming across his name, but have yet to dig up any of his stuff.

I may get shit for this, but a guy who writes some underrated songs, at least recently, is Kid Rock. Some really good stuff on Rock 'n' Roll Jesus.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

You'd probably like LaMontagne's music; similar in style to some of the more laid-back Isbell/DBT songs. His voice is a love-it/hate-it proposition, however. I think he's a great singer/songwriter.

Regarding Kid Rock? Yes, he has gotten better as a songwriter, but still managed to keep the sense of humor/cheese factor that drew me to "Devil Without a Cause" in the first place.

If nothing else, Kid Rock wasn't afraid to change his sound and move from the Korn/Limp Bizkit style toward a more southern rock/country groove.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Catching the Old 97s Tuesday night at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park.I'll be sure to report back on how it was.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

"Lowlife," a redneck masterpiece, is the perfect example.

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

But it's a cover.
    Originally written and recorded by John Eddie.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Did not know that. Love that song regardless. If Blue Jeans and a Rosary is a cover, then I've lost all respect for Robert, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted