1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite MTV show, past AND present

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NDJournalist, Jun 21, 2013.

1. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Keeping up with the theme of the VH1 thread people seemed to love, I've made an MTV one with a little twist. I want one show from the past and one show from the present guys.

For me:

Present: Catfish
    Past: Buckwild

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, way back in the mist of a few months ago, there was Buckwild.

Present: Not one damned thing.
    Past: All the hours of music played by Martha, Alan, Mark, J.J. and Nina.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Assuming the regular time blocks, when they would just show music videos, is out?

For the past, I'll go Remote Control over The Real World, only because The Real World dropped off a cliff in quality/watchability very early. If not after the San Francisco season, then definitely with the Austin season.

For the present, there's very little on there that can make me tune to that station and keep it on. If anything, it's the Gauntlet/Challenge/Inferno thing, with the people from the old Real World and Road Rules seasons.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Daria hit the sweet spot when I was just the right age to find it brilliantly insightful.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Videos, of course.

Daria is the best show MTV fucked up royally on by not continuing it. Masterful writing.

6. dooley_womack1

Daria was damn good, too.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Music videos.

B&B in about the 2nd-4th seasons.

Everyone involved in every single one of their mother fucking cock sucking "reality" shows needs to be horrifyingly executed.

They loosed a disease which has infected, consumed and destroyed the entire medium of television. Bullets in the brains to all of them.

And I haven't watched 15 minutes of MTV in 15 years.

8. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Past: The State, 3 South, Remote Control
    Present: Put me down for The Gauntlet/Challenge/Inferno shows as well

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Considering Buckwild was the absolute greatest show of all time and Shain Gandee, RIP and God bless your soul, was an absolute genius taken from us far too soon, I don't even know why we need a thread.

10. Wasn't NDJournalist still in diapers when Daria aired?

11. dooley_womack1

You have picked a specialty and are running with it like a champ.

Who says he still isn't in diapers?

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the last time I watched MTV was when Michael Jackson died. Real World Denver had its moments and some of the Challenges were glorious train wrecks....but yeah it's kind of like going back to high school after you've graduated. It's not for you anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted