1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite minor sport to cover...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Apr 15, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Taking out the traditional biggees...football, basketball and baseball...what's your favorite minor sport to cover?

I enjoy the spring with both track and field and tennis matches.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Hockey, just because I love the sport.

Wrestling, because I think it's at least interesting, the matches are quick and the meets are usually over in an hour.

3. He is...safe!

He is...safe! Member

A good fastpitch softball game is fun to watch. A bad one is about the worst possible thing to cover. Soccer to me is the same way. Good matches are fun to cover. Bad ones are horrid.

4. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Hockey is my favourite, but it's bigger than your traditional biggees up here. Otherwise, I really love a good game of rugby. It's fast, hard hitting, and interesting. Great photo potential too.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agreed. Love covering track, especially shooting it. Short distances, bang, it's on.

6. Soccer, with wrestling a close second.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I like tennis - There is a breezy feel to it, and you can normally interview players right after their respective match, which can really cut down on the time you need to spend there. Girls' lacrosse is also underrated, in that there is normally a good amount of scoring, it's over in about 90 minutes, and it's not that hard to get some good art from it.

On the other hand, I'd rather cover just about any other sport than a track meet. Just a horrible pain, and I don't really have any background in the sport, so it's always tricky for me to get a proper read on how good a kid actually is. I can see the appeal if you only have to cover a couple of events, but most meets in Rhode Island go on for a couple hours, and by the end it is a lovely 35 to 50 degrees out.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Boxing. Doesn't matter what level - the stories write themselves.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Horse racing, for the same reason Dan cited boxing. And imagine that those two, which are the oldest spectator sports in the U.S. are now "minor."

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I love writing boxing features. But actually watching a boxing match is usually pretty distasteful to me.

11. Updating here. I played both sports, so they have a soft spot for me.

I know soccer parents can be a pain (actually, any sports parents), but when the game is played well on any level, it's fun to watch. And don't get me started on the 0-0 or 1-0 results. If that's what you're hung up on, you don't get the game.

Wrestlers just appreciate any coverage they get at all. Easily the most forgotten HS sport, unless you live in Iowa. But no other sport puts the individual on the spot to such a degree. You are literally the center of attention. It's too bad that the two sports seeing the biggest cuts in college these days are men's soccer and wrestling.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Soccer for sure. Lacrosse isn't bad either.

Draft saved Draft deleted