1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite guitarist and solo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ilmago, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Two great solos from Elvis songs: "Heartbreak Hotel" featuring the immortal Scotty Moore and "Promised Land", a ripping cover of the Chuck Berry song with a couple of great solos by James Burton, his old bad-ass self.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I don't even know his name, but the guitar player on Funkadelic's "Maggot Brain," essentially a 10-minute instrumental, is incredible. That song is mind-blowing.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'll pick whoever played the solo in "Cover of the Rolling Stone." Oh, that's beautiful.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Johannes Linstead.

Solo? How about Han?

5. Quakes

Quakes Guest

I don't know if it's Keith or Mick Taylor or both of them, and I don't know if there's a proper "solo," but Love In Vain -- by the Stones, off Let It Bleed -- is a gorgeous guitar song.

Am I weird for admiring the solo in I Fought The Law, by the Bobby Fuller Four?

The Edge doesn't do a lot of solos for U2, but I really like what he does on All I Want Is You.

(This is fun.)

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Not at all. Best Buddy Holly song Buddy didn't live to write.

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr M,

Pretty sure it's Eddie Hazel.

YHS, etc

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

It was Hazel. Great song.

Draft saved Draft deleted