1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Childhood toy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Mar 4, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No, my mom would have been upset. And my mom upset, would probably be as vicious as Brutus the Barber Beefcake.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

A couple of unusual things come to mind from the mid-'60s when I was between about four and six:

1. I desperately wanted a change maker like the one the Good Humor man had on his belt, and my mom found one somewhere for me. Loved it.

2. I also wanted a "divers" watch like the one Lloyd Bridges wore on Sea Hunt, so, again, my mom went out and found a kids black-faced watch that while not exactly a divers watch fit the bill for me. I recall pretending to "swim" under the coffee table while checking my watch to see how much oxygen I had in my tank.

3. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

GI Joe Skystriker. I also liked the Dragonfly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MASK stuff was cool too.

I also loved electric football. My Dad and I painted up complete teams for all of the NFL, the SEC, the Southwest Conference, ACC and some independents at the time like Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame, etc. I still have the tackle box with the teams and occasionally, I pull them out and let them rattle around on my still-working board.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

So, I know I'm getting a little carried away at this point, but I forgot these, too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think all were Ertl products. Once went to the Ertl factory outlet in Iowa and nearly died.

The top ones were quite a bit larger than the bottom. I didn't actually have the F-16 from that group, but definitely the other two, plus an F-18, an Apache, and Hind and a couple others, it seems like. From the bottom picture, I think I had every single one of those.

Ok, sorry. Last toys, I swear.

I also thought Dino-Riders were awesome, though I never had a ton.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet:

[​IMG]

I had a few BuddyL things, including a tractor with a wagon that hooked behind it (similar to the Ertl one Pilot posted). Still have that tractor too, in storage now. Might be worth something someday.

6. the fop

the fop Member

No love for Super Toe?

[​IMG]

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

My Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle. Got it as a gift. I wanted it so bad. Then played with it until it disintegrated. You put the motorcyle in the red plastic thing and turned the handle as fast as you could to create torque and then let go and the motorcycle would go. I used to make homemade ramps and have him jump over toy cars and buses and anything else I could set up.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Good call on the Evel Knievel. Had one of those as well.

[​IMG]

Anyone have a Batman parachute? Wad the parachute up, throw it in the air and the parachute deploys.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted