1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Bob & Tom skit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 2, 2008.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

That attorney (John Price) was running for state representative (in the district I lived in) against the GOP incumbent. I remember both myself & my best friend at the time both threatening to disown our parents if they voted for him. His only campaign issue was getting Bob & Tom taken off the air.

The gathering in front of his office, with the Hitler salutes, happened on election day. And was broadcast on a show that got a 20 share in Indy at the time. Nobody listening was going to vote for the guy anyway, so I don't think it influenced the election, but I do remember him being given equal time to rebut on the station one afternoon shortly thereafter.

2. crimsonace

And, with the exception of "Lord, Help Our Colts," which was funny during the Jeff George years, every ode Duke Tomatoe ever did to an Indianapolis sports team/player sucked. Hard. Really hard. The one to A.J. Foyt is the only one semi-tolerable.

"Do the Peyton Manning" makes me want to vomit.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Crimson, holy shit, I forgot about most of that stuff.

I lived by Bob & Tom during my high school days in Indy, but their appeal wore off pretty quick even before I got into college and way before they want national. Even then, they repeated so many gags, the shelf life was short.

Yet even now, I'd laugh my ass off at Mark Patrick's My Town ... Brownsburg. It was very funny, even funnier now considering Brownsburg is Mrs. Bubbler's hometown.

4. Mr. Obvious

VCR Head Cleaner

5. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

Mr Obvious is my all-time fav.
    Also loved he great ode to racing legend Dick Simon -- "Dicked Again"

I saw the B&T all-stars about 4 months ago and it was great. Wilson was brilliant and Donnie Baker was the best.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

B double-e double-r U N ... Beer Run!
    and
    Toast

7. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

"Uh oh ... that wasn't ... a Marlboro ..."

8. crimsonace

My folks used to buy me the biennial Bob & Tom tapes for my birthday (which came out at the same time as their race album) & Christmas every year, and I listened to them so much, I could pretty much recite them verbatim.

My Town Brownsburg was a take-off of a serious segment of chicken-salad news hosted by the local button-down AM monster's septogenarian news director ("My Town Indy"). Having spent many of my formative years in Brownsburg, Patrick's spoof cracked me up. "Clermont Lanes was the site of the annual Veterans of Foreign Venerial Disease bowling tournament ..." I vaguely remember him talking about the annual Christmas in July celebration, in which people decorated the town in Christmas stuff (which never really happened), and the dyslexic guy on East Main's yard said "Happy Leon."

Like you, I stopped listening in college (which is about when they went national) and now catch it a little bit on my way to work if all of the other stations are playing commercials (which happens all the time). All they seem to do now is just play their old taped bits.

None of which happen to be "Meridian Street, you are a-callin' me ... Hey! Hey! You! Hey! You!"

9. crimsonace

Much dig head cleaner, but the garbage disposal episode still makes me crack up, even though I know the entire thing by heart.

10. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Have you ever seen one of Duke's shows? Outside the Indianapolis metro area where songs like that wouldn't play? It's actually a great blues show. He's very talented.

That said, I can't stick up for the "Do the Peyton Manning."

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The garbage disposal episode of "Mr. Obvious" is my favorite.

And Chick McGee's a good dude, even for a Redskins fan.

12. crimsonace

I've heard Duke do his straight blues stuff on B&T and he was very good.

When he degenerated into writing songs about Indy sports teams/figures, he began to lose me ... other than his tribute to A.J. Foyt, which isn't too bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted