1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite board game?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sconnie, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

You're right.
    You can't help you're that small.

:)

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I could have been born without my right arm, and still, that wouldn't be my least-favorite birth defect.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I miss Parcheesi....

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

LOVE Stratego; my son and I play that and the Star Wars version. He's beaten me once or twice, usually on the Star Wars Stratego, but he's also beating himself up for choking away a classic game when I had no one ranked higher than a major remaining. He had his general and one colonel left. And I still beat him.

That and Trivial Pursuit are my two favorites.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What about the home version of Jeopardy?

6. digger

digger New Member

I mentioned this in the thanksgiving "giblets'' thread.

Has anyone every played Perfect 10? It's a tough trivia/knowledge game.

There are 10 categories, each team gets a different set of questions. Categories include sports (almost always easy for me), Geography, movies (harder than you think), science, classic arts (impossible), quotes (always tough), literature, music, not sure what else.

Anyway, you answer your 10 questions (its multiple choice, 4 answers each, but still hard), then each team checks the other teams answers and lets them know how many they got right. (I've had times it's been as low as 3, got 9 - with a lot of luck - on the first try).

after the first round, each team gets to ask the other team the answer to one of the questions. (start with the classic arts or quotes!). So now you know 1 answer for sure, plus how many you got right. Some of those, you probably know for sure. So you go from there, and answer all the questions again. The other team checks, and you repeat the process until one team gets all 10. They get points based on how many the other team got right.

It should get easier and easier, because each time you gain more information about which answers were right, etc. You have to keep comparing your answers to the ones in previous rounds.

It combines knowledge/trivia and logic, and is a real challenge. One warning - if your sure an answer is right, but its actually wrong, you are in big trouble, because it really throws off the logic portion. You keep changing answers that are right, trying to match up the number of right answers in each round.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Awesome.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Played the home version years ago, with the sliding panel of questions behind the board. Believe it or not, I didn't get the Jeopardy DVD Home Version in my contestant goodie bag.

9. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Backgammon - I got a sweet 1973 set
    Scrabble
    Stratego
    Monopoly
    Win, Lose or Draw
    Life - the old, classic version

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Anyone here ever heard of "Ghettopoly"?

[​IMG]

I almost bought a copy in 2003 and thought about it again a few days ago.

A description from Wikipedia:
    http://www.etailgifts.com/ghettopoly.htm.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What did you get?

12. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Used to play Stratego and checkers with my grandpa when I was kid. He was so competitive, I caught him moving his flag around as I was crushing him, and he got mad and flung the board off hassock. He did it with checkers, too - would quit or just pull his pieces off and say "rematch" before I could actually beat him.

Draft saved Draft deleted