1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Beatles pastiche?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Everything on the Stone Temple Pilots' third album sounds like a Beatles song. One in particular, not sure if it was Lady Picture Show or something else - always reminded me of the Beatles. I can't think of it right now because there's just way too much background noise where I am.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

That one is pretty understandable.

Not sure if Oasis has been mentioned yet.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Strawberry Fields Forever-Ben Harper

A great Paul McCartney cover is Baby I'm Amazed by Jem (it's on the OC soundtrack)

4. Boognish

Boognish Member

Jet totally ripped off the Beatles with their "Look What You've Done" single. I really dislike Jet, BTW. Not sure why.

5. Bob Slydell

I generally loathe Beatles covers. However, the I Am Sam soundtrack is for the most part really good.

I also love Siouxsie (sp?) and the Banshees cover of Dear Prudence.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Cheap Trick is pretty well known for sounding a lot like the Beatles. And Marshall Crenshaw (duh, since he was Lennon in the original Beatlemania)

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

His biggest hit - well, his only hit (Someday, Someway) was a pitch-perfect Buddy Holly pastiche.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

And he played Buddy Holly in La Bamba.

9. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

As far as covers go, I like Stevie doing We Can Work It Out and Eddie Vedder doing You've Got To Hide Your Love Away.

As far as sounding like the Beatles goes, The Killers Mr. Brightside reminds me of Helter Skelter.

Pastiche? C'mon, whaddaya work for Slate?

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Heh. Maybe there's a better word, but that's the first one that occurred to me. "Tribute" had a connotation I wasn't necessarily looking for in this thread, I suppose.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

My favorite band, probably always will be.

There's a part in "Let There Be Love," when Noel takes over the mic with "C'mon, baby blue ... " and by the time he trails off it's a hauntingly beautiful moment that sounds like Lennon.

12. Bob Slydell

Rock N Roll High School is now on VH1 Classic.

While the Ramones got their name from a Paul McCartney alias, and they definitely have the Beatles as an influence, I would say their music is more akin to Phil Spector and basic pop music, just really, really fast.

Draft saved Draft deleted