1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite baseball or sports card of all time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Oct 14, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was rummaging through boxes of Halloween costumes the other night and came across the old card collection.

So I'm wondering what everyone's favorite baseball card, sports card, or sports collectible is?

2. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

Topps Tony Gwynn rookie. I used to skim Beckett's whenever I could and see the price skyrocket from 17-25 bucks. I figured it would have hit $25,000 by now. Last I checked it was about $40. Does anyone even buy baseball cards any more?

3. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Had a 1955 Topps #2 Ted Williams card that was in mint condition, given to me by a family friend. It was stolen out of my bedroom.

Also have a good chunk of the 1959 Ted Williams Fleer set, which my father and I decided to try and piece together when I was young. Don't know that we'll complete the set, because there is one card in there that is ridiculously hard to get.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I have three Wade Boggs rookie and two Don Mattingly rookie cards. Were both $100+ 20 years ago.
    now I think they are worth less than a gallon of gas.

I do have a Bonds rookie card. I wonder if I can trade it for some cream or clear.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've got an autographed Bo Jackson Kansas City Royals Topps rookie card that my uncle gave me, but other than that I have this Topps football card from about 10 years ago that has a piece of a seat from Lambeau Field in it. I have no way to confirm that it is an actual piece of a real seat, but I'm gonna go with it.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I also have Terry Labonte's victory lane winner's photo cap from the August race at Bristol in 1984. If you ever see the winner's photo with Labonte wearing a blue Piedmont Airlines cap, the cap now resides in my house. Back in the days when they let fans in the pits after the race, I was a kid down there when they were wrapping up the photo shoot and asked if I could have his cap.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

During his MVP season in 1980 I scrimped and saved as much as a six-year-old can to buy a George Brett rookie mini that at the time was $25. I still have the card which is professionally graded at a 9, which means it's in almost perfect condition for a card that old.

I also bought a box of cards from an estate sale when I was in high school. We were only given a few seconds to go through it and I saw a Johnny Bench rookie in the box so I bid $100 for the box of about 500 cards.

In the box there were two 1968 Mantles, a 1968 Carew, a 1967 Steve Carlton, but the jackpot was the Bench rookie, a 1969 Reggie Jackson rookie and a 1968 Nolan Ryan rookie.

I still have all of those cards with the exception of one of the Mantles, which I sold for $300 right after he died.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The hundred or so Jim Breazeale cards I got from the 1973 Topps set.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My cousin has an autographed Tony Stewart Home Depot helmet that he got as a birthday gift. I don't like Tony Stewart, or Nascar for that matter, but the thing is pretty sweet to put on and stuff.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

[​IMG]

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Damn you! Beat me to it. So I guess I'll post these two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted